Longstreet East Tennessee Bus Tour - Dec. 1863 - Feb 1864

This was the first such tour and 50 seats were filled in only 3 days. They will be offering another tour, presumably of the same itinerary, in January 2022 and other more specific tours are in the works.
View attachment 422653
Dandridge, TN
The next stop where we got off the bus was the town of Dandridge, TN - the 2nd oldest town in Tennessee. Two separate actions occurred in or near Dandridge during Longstreets East Tennessee Campaign - the Battle of Dandridge aka Hayes Ferry on December 24, 1863 and the Attack on Dandridge which occurred January 17, 1864.
View attachment 422654
It must have been pretty chaotic at Dandridge on January 17, 1864 with all the appearances of a full-scale battle about to develop. Union General John G. Parke, commanding 26,000 soldiers and 34 artillery pieces, defended the town against Confederate General James Longstreet's 20,000 men and 20 guns, advancing from the east. Union General Philip H. Sheridan's cavalrymen were attempting to build a pontoon bridge across the French Broad River, while Col. Moore's Ohio infantry had been sent east of town to join Gen. Frank Wolford's cavalry. Capt. Eli Lilly's artillery was placed on a Dandridge hill to protect Federal positions.
View attachment 422655

Sheridan's Embarrassing Pontoon Bridge Incident
Speaking of that pontoon bridge that Phil Sheridan was attempting to build across the French Broad. If you're wondering why you never read about it in Sheridan's memoirs.... it's because it resulted in embarrassment. Sheridan strung together a series of pontoons and reached land. But it was then that Colonel Charles G. Harker (125th Ohio) realized Sheridan's had only reached an island in the middle of the French Broad.....and he still had the other half of the river to span. :nah disagree: Sheridan blamed the mistake on poor maps and fog.

About midday the bridge was completed and Colonel Harker rode across to test it. After riding a short distance into the woods on the opposite bank, Harker discovered more water ahead. After a few minutes scouting, Harker realized the bridge ended on an island. Sheridan was furious over this error...

Historic Buildings at Dandridge
The town of Dandridge is charming, with lots of historic buildings. I could have easily spent a half a day there exploring them all. But the stop was short and these are the only ones I had time to learn anything about. There's also a cemetery with Revolutionary War veterans graves.
View attachment 422656
Shepard Inn, circa 1820. Three US Presidents were reportedly guests - Jackson, Polk, and Johnson.

View attachment 422658
Hynds House built in 1845. It was used as a hospital and served as headquarters for Union and Confederate officers at various times.

The Neff House (not pictured) also served as a hospital at Dandridge.
Pics of the Revolutionary War Cemetery at Dandridge, which also has some Civil War grave sites as well.

C4043A2E-7D81-4207-B862-D234C8D5BFD5.jpeg

3E85B606-A095-460E-B6A6-2D3966EF54C2.jpeg

566C1CA9-A40B-4465-A427-95167A0C4A07.jpeg

6B4D6F4B-CC07-4DB7-8134-B50DADF14AD3.jpeg

Strawberry Plains
The next stop was at a place I have always wanted to visit. Probably because of this iconic 1863 photo by George N. Barnard at the Library of Congress showing the Union picket on the bridge over the Holston River. Maybe it's just me, but when I see photos like this one, I just want to go there and see for myself.
View attachment 422663
So I got to see it in person and checked that off my bucket list. :D Even though we didn't get close enough to recreate the Barnard image.
View attachment 422670
View attachment 422664
A photograph in front of the bridge at Strawberry Plains may not have been on other people's bucket lists, but I took a bunch of pictures there anyway.
View attachment 422677
@Rocky18
View attachment 422678
@Norman Dasinger Jr
View attachment 422680
@Diane123

We explored a cemetery there, but I was so busy looking back at the bridge and taking pictures I'll have to rely on someone else to tell us what that was all about. :biggrin:
View attachment 422669
Another picture of the bridge.

79130555-7771-491D-B04E-9488C8C28DE7.jpeg

They have a facebook page www.facebook.com/generallongstreetmuseum/
You have to purchase tickets by calling the museum office. Phone number is 423.438.0968

It was fantastic! Did you know that the pontoon faux pas was discovered by Col. Charles Harker? I bet Sheridan was not happy with "Sunshine" that day.... no matter how cheerfully he pointed out Sheridan's error. :biggrin:

Mossy Creek & Carson-Newman University
The next stop was Carson-Newman University at Jefferson, TN. It was here at the stadium that we ate box lunches, provided as part of the tour. While we ate, David Needs, history instructor and Director of Track & Field for the University, provided a great synopsis of the action. Mr. Needs is a local expert on the Battle of Mossy Creek and an interesting and engaging speaker. He was able to connect the dots for me on a lot of the sites we had already seen and his well-organized explanation helped to prepare me for some of the ones we would see later in the day.

View attachment 422662

Cavalry Fight at Mossy Creek - Wil Martin v. Sam Sturgis
On December 29, 1863, Confederate cavalry, under the command of Major General William T. Martin, faced Union Brigadier General Samuel D. Sturgis at Mossy Creek. The Confederates were encamped at Panther Creek in Morristown, while the Union cavalry was at Mossy Creek. The right flank of the Union line of battle lies just off the campus of Carson-Newman University and the location was visible from our seats in the stadium.
View attachment 422661
On the morning of Dec. 29, 1863, Martin's cavalry attacked, but by the day's end, neither side had progressed much and the battle ended without a decisive result. Sturgis' loss was 26 killed and 87 wounded. Confederate casualties are harder to confirm, but Needs estimates perhaps 100 to as many as 300. Soldiers on both sides who were wounded and not able to be retrieved before nightfall froze in place. Mr. Needs told us it was one of the coldest nights ever recorded in the area, with temperatures dropping to perhaps 30 degrees BELOW ZERO!

David told some individual stories about soldiers who were wounded in the fighting. If I am recalling correctly, there was one especially compelling story, supported by primary sources, about a young Union cavarlyman who was wounded and carried to a house. He was from Morristown (I think?) Anyway, his mother was notified and she was passed through the lines by the Confederates. She reached him before he died and was able to sit at his bedside until he expired. [Hopefully if I got that wrong, @Norman Dasinger Jr or @uaskme will correct me.]

I would add that Mr. Needs presentation was thorough, well-organized, delivered with enthusiasm, engaging, and interesting. It was just excellent! I am not that familiar with the activities in East TN after Fort Sanders. So without a solid timeline in my head - trying to connect the places we were seeing to the dates that things happened was frustrating. Mr. Needs presented an excellent synopsis that helped to clarify the timeline and I really appreciate his willingness to meet us at the stadium on a cold November day!
David Needs providing details of the Battle of Mossy Creek with the perfect backdrop to point out exactly where all the action took place.

BC200EC3-1A01-41A8-BCEA-A2A2A216291F.jpeg

Seven CWT members participated in the bus tour including me, @Rocky18 , @Diane123 , @uaskme , @midnitelamp , @Norman Dasinger Jr and his wife. Some of us met for dinner Friday night before the tour. Thats me, @Diane123 , @uaskme and @Rocky18 .
View attachment 422639
The next morning, we met at the museum and boarded the bus. We were off on the tour!
View attachment 422638
The first stop was the historic Bethesda Presbyterian Church in Russellville, Hamblen County, TN. The church was originally founded in 1832, and the masonry building was completed in 1835.
View attachment 422640
Not far from the Nenny house where Longstreet headquartered, it was used as a Confederate hospital. After Longstreet returned to Virginia in April 1864, the Union army also used it for hospital purposes.
View attachment 422642
Above Norman's head, you can see a large iron rod that was installed in an attempt to stabilize the walls of the church after it sustained damage. There is one in each end of the building.

View attachment 422643
And behind Jody, you can see the construction of the masonry walls covered with plaster. There is no wood framing in the walls and the windows are set directly into the masonry.
View attachment 422644
As mentioned above, the church was used by both sides as a hospital. There are believed to be both Union and Confederate soldiers interred in the church cemetery. Eighty of the wartime burials are unidentified. Outside, a marker indicates the location of a burial trench. The marker reads "UNKNOWN DEAD / This plot is sacred to the memory of Sixty-five unknown dead, most of whom are believed to be Confederate soldiers."
Other interesting info: There are no nails in the construction of the roof and ceiling. Everything is hung from a huge center beam and affixed with pegs. Also the ceiling was originally higher, but due to damage sustained during the war, the interior ceiling was lowered in 1878. It is also said that a Bible, called the Boaz Bible, stayed on the pulpit during the entire civil war and was never moved from the church. The Bible is now part of the exhibit at the Longstreet Museum.

4293A7D6-5D93-42AE-A619-D5C3BB4A5F18.jpeg

F09D32A3-3CED-481F-951E-38DBDDDCE6A0.jpeg

E22CD32D-C3E2-4DB4-BFAA-E4B1B8278243.jpeg

The geography is important and the tour folks neglected alot of it. Understanding the two main valleys, railroad, river, wagon roads (the two main ones emerging from Knoxville that being one toward Rogersville and one toward Russellville) and the locations of these in relation to one another is a must. I figured it out as we went a long - I have never been to these sites. Also, the tour did not give us a time line. We asked for dates and they knew them but if you know when stuff happened at different locations it always helps. So, geography and time - know a little about both before you go.
The tour folks put together a unique experience. I recommneded they do it in reverse order since that would more closely follow the time line and allow the person to begin the day at the overlook to help with overall geography. Since there are no similar tours covering this area, I suggest you go on this one. And the guide book they put together was awesome and lunch was really delicious!
thanks Laura for posting a photo review of the day.
Norman

Great photos. The one of the view is especially lovely!
Thanks Lupa Here's a couple more that show parts of that amazing view from Veteran's Overlook on Clinch Mountain.
Resized_20211120_173115.jpeg

20211120_173019.jpg

The last two stops on the bus tour - well one was just a drive by, but interesting nonetheless.
View attachment 422700
A Close Call for Orlando M. Poe
Near Thornhill, TN the bus pulled over at a scenic overlook off the North side of Clinch Mountain. That's right, the NORTH side. Not the side where the Veteran's Overlook is - we'd see it next. This was the other side. Where we pulled over, the road from Cumberland Gap intersects. It was here we were told that Union Chief Engineer, Army of the Ohio, Orlando M. Poe very narrowly escaped capture. This was soon after the failed assault on Fort Sanders, presumably December 1863. Poe evidently traveled the road heading toward Cumberland Gap, just hours (or perhaps minutes) after Confederate cavalry had made their way from Cumberland Gap --- on the same road.
I forgot I took this one. A picture of that area where Orlando Poe was almost captured, taken out of the bus window.
20211120_171124.jpg

The geography is important and the tour folks neglected alot of it. Understanding the two main valleys, railroad, river, wagon roads (the two main ones emerging from Knoxville that being one toward Rogersville and one toward Russellville) and the locations of these in relation to one another is a must. I figured it out as we went a long - I have never been to these sites. Also, the tour did not give us a time line. We asked for dates and they knew them but if you know when stuff happened at different locations it always helps. So, geography and time - know a little about both before you go.
The tour folks put together a unique experience. I recommneded they do it in reverse order since that would more closely follow the time line and allow the person to begin the day at the overlook to help with overall geography. Since there are no similar tours covering this area, I suggest you go on this one. And the guide book they put together was awesome and lunch was really delicious!
thanks Laura for posting a photo review of the day.
Mr. Lincoln wanted an invasion of East Tennessee early on. He was aware of all the Union sentiment. The topography of the area made Sherman and McClellan wary of such a move. They convinced him to go after Nashville instead and thus the first Confederate State Capital fell. The Unionists in East Tennessee would have to wait until Sept.1863. Great Photos! Thanks for posting!

Tour had other area history than just the Civil War. Davy Crockett was featured several times. Area early attractions etc.

Tour group probably dominated by locals. Probably got all the Civil War they could retain. Tour covered as many stops as they could cram into a Day. Objective was to get people interested in the events so as to make people want to study this area. Eventually want to come back and do other events they are eventually going to offer. The handful of guys who did the interpretations have written books themselves, lead extensive Civil War tours and spent years of their personal time in historic preservation. One of the guys that did the Beans Station Battle got so hoarse he had to let someone else finish his presentation. He had mention a source before we got off the bus. So, I talked to him to confirm it. He told me that there was just so much more he wanted to say, just didn’t have the time. These guys enthusiasm was just addictive.

Several years ago I spent months in this area working. Morristown had a pretty good Industrial Base. I spent 3 weeks probably at Mahle which is a stones throw from where the museum is. Traveled up these 2 valleys we toured. I was on another mission other that studying the Civil War. I’ve spent all of my life in Western NC and Eastern TN. This area is drop dead beautiful. Especially in you are a Ridge Runner by birth. Unique Civil War perspective which didn’t end when Longstreet left.

@Kathy the history sleuth here's the thread on the East TN bus tour sponsored by the good folks at the General Longstreet Museum at Russelville. They told us there be another one of the same overview itinerary on January 8, 2022. They provided a comfortable charter bus, knowledgeable guides, a nice box lunch, etc. and at only $60 per person, I thought it was an excellent value.

@Kathy the history sleuth here's the thread on the East TN bus tour sponsored by the good folks at the General Longstreet Museum at Russelville. They told us there be another one of the same overview itinerary on January 8, 2022. They provided a comfortable charter bus, knowledgeable guides, a nice box lunch, etc. and at only $60 per person, I thought it was an excellent value.
Thanks Laura, I bookmarked this. Maybe my kids might want to go. I know I won't be there in January. But I will check on it when I'm in the area which is 3 times a year with some luck. It's good to know the museum does things like this.

There is a great account and a map of the fight at Mossey Creek and at Fair Garden. It was drawn by one of the men in the 18th Indiana Light Artillery. He mentioned the fight was very hard and long. The 18th retreated only after the confederates used the railroad cut to the south of the field of battle as cover for a flanking movement.

There is a great account and a map of the fight at Mossey Creek and at Fair Garden. It was drawn by one of the men in the 18th Indiana Light Artillery. He mentioned the fight was very hard and long. The 18th retreated only after the confederates used the railroad cut to the south of the field of battle as cover for a flanking movement.
Hi Richard. Thanks for your reply. Is that account in a published source or a letter/diary? Any idea how I could access it?

Also wondering how to obtain source.

Campaign to Nowhere by David C Smith is probably the best source for these battles. Recommend by the guys who led the Tour.

Smith. Like the members of the Longstreet Museum who led the Tour, are local Historians. Smith is a relic hunter. Got releases from 245, as I remember land owners. He did this in the 1980s before a lot of this area was spoiled. So, he walked the ground. Used the ORs, diaries and Regimental histories to figure this stuff out. He covers all of the engagements of the Tour.

Battle of Bean’s Station by Donald Sheridan was also recommended to me. 200 page volume about the history of Beans Station. Only book length source about Bean Station I found, if you are interested in Beans Station, it is a good read.

I also picked up Grumble, The W.E. Jones Brigade 1863-64. Grumble was the most able Calvary commanded during the campaign. Also was active in the Clinch River Valley and Lee County Va. only 150 pp or so.

This is online at Wabash College. Henry Campbell was the 16-year old bugler of the 18th. I have a complete copy that I obtained from Chickamauga Battlefield Park in 2008.

Back