Long Hospital stay?

javel

Cadet
I'm researching a Union soldier who enlisted in May 1861 for 3 years. From muster rolls he was present for duty until Dec 1862 when he is listed as being sick in the hospital. The Muster Rolls for the following 14 months (Jan 1863 thru Feb 1864) list him the same..."Absent sick in hospital in Nashville, Tenn since Dec 24, 1862." In March 1864 he is again shown present for duty and remains so until June when the Regiment is Mustered Out after completing their 3 years service. Is it just me, or is it odd that he was in the hospital for 14 months and then returns to his unit? I would have thought he would have been discharged on disability and sent home. I've seen several others that have had that happen to them. I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone out there might have. Thanks.

May have been kept on as a steward. I remember reading how one soldier was retained by the Surgeon. Sorry but I don't recall which book. Then again, it could be a major case of Hospital Rat! Hospital Rat!

I have read of several men who had pnemunia (sp?)who were in hospital for more than a year. I know my own case of pnemunia damned near killed me and I was in ICU for a week and on light duty for most of three mos. W/out modern medicine and medical care I have no doubt I would be looking up at a piece of marble now w/ very litle input to this board.

My ancestor in the 1st TX Cav served only a few months before he was hospital ridden for the duration. It was dysentery so I suppose hospital "bound" isn't exactly the correct term...
happy.gif

A lot of times if a soldier was recovered, but still not strong enough for the rigors of life in the field, he would be assigned as a hospital attendant. Still on the sick roll but with something to do besides lie around all day. This may be the case with the soldiers discussed above.

Zou

The soldier could also be sent on furlough, with orders to report back at certain times. I have records of one that was basically sent home to recover and had to report back every other month so they could check on his recovery. In this case, he was transferred to the hospital regiment when his unit was disbanded and discharged a week or so later.

The soldier was lucky he was in Nashville perhaps which was occupied by the US Army from 1862 until war's end. This was a major 'medical center' with lots of doctors and several real and created 'hospitals'. (eight in all) It was also a major location for treatment of veneral disease, not to suggest this might have included this soldier, but there is a possibility of long term disability or even quarantine. Depending on his illness, there was certainly space and manpower in Nashville for longer term care if needed.

Back