Lone Star Unionism, Dissent, and Resistance: Other Sides of Civil War Texas

I am ordering this book today. Happy to see Union men and women in the Civil War South getting more attention in the last twenty years. We need more scholarship on these folks as well as free blacks, slaves, and non-combatants to present a wider and richer context of the war to the general public. Through these efforts, we can chip away at tired old myths like the monolithic South or the Lost Cause that, although discarded by the academy many years ago, still persist in the general population.

Does the book say what the Unionists (who were there) were doing in the Antebellum period? Here is a link to a great book I read this fall:

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academi...tities-frontier-texas-and-new-mexico-18001850

According to this author, after independence from Spain the people of Mexico split into factions, the major ones being "federalists", what we would call "states righters", and "centralists", which we would call "nationalists." As the book traces this struggle it relates numerous arguments that foreshadow our Antebellum conflict including tariffs vs free trade, states rights, slavery, and the struggle over the role of national vs state authority. Is I read I was thinking "I've seen this movie before..." but apparently the one I saw was something of a re-run.

It was an eye-opener and I tought I'd mention it in connection with the one in the original post.

Disclaimer: This post is neither a recommendation nor solicitation ...... It is solely for informational purposes.

Same here - I just happened to like the one I read and hope that others have read it and might want to swap ideas

Back