Locomotives and Wilmington Torpedo Boat Engines

DaveBrt

1st Lieutenant
National Archives, Secretary of War Telegrams Sent

C. S. A. War Dept.
Richmond, Va Jan 28th/64

Genl W. H. C. Whiting
Wilmington N. C.

On inquiry it is found that the locomotives referred to can be used on Railroads and are too valuable to be spared for torpedo boats.
J. A. Seddon
Secretary of War

Sent by telegram

National Archives, Secretary of War Telegrams Sent

C. S. A. War Dept.
Richmond, Va Jan 28th/64

Genl W. H. C. Whiting
Wilmington N. C.

On inquiry it is found that the locomotives referred to can be used on Railroads and are too valuable to be spared for torpedo boats.
J. A. Seddon
Secretary of War

Sent by telegram
Aha, if we knew what locomotives they were, and there are any specifications, we can get a scale on Porter's TB plan - possibly.

Aha, if we knew what locomotives they were, and there are any specifications, we can get a scale on Porter's TB plan - possibly.
John,

At present, I have not identified Whitings suggested locomotives. However, the important sizes were almost universal for "modern" (1853+) locomotives. From White, A History of the American Locomotive, for the 1857 "Southport," cylinders 17"x22", 150 tubes (fire, not water) 2" diameter and 11' 6" long, grate area 18.38 sq ft. The only likelihood of a meaningfully smaller boiler would be if a very old, very small locomotive was in view (say an 1838 locomotive) and these were rare in the South.

John,

At present, I have not identified Whitings suggested locomotives. However, the important sizes were almost universal for "modern" (1853+) locomotives. From White, A History of the American Locomotive, for the 1857 "Southport," cylinders 17"x22", 150 tubes (fire, not water) 2" diameter and 11' 6" long, grate area 18.38 sq ft. The only likelihood of a meaningfully smaller boiler would be if a very old, very small locomotive was in view (say an 1838 locomotive) and these were rare in the South.
Thanks Dave. I'll have a look at the plan. should have looked myself, I'd forgotten I have a copy of White.

Back