location of Cincinnati Depot

Ferd454231

Private
If you know where the Cincinnati Depot was located I would very much like to know. Just curious. H Thank you in advance.

Sir, there are references to the Cincinnati Depot in 'The Business of Civil War: Military Mobilization and the State, 1861–1865 (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology)' by Mark R. Wilson but I don't think it is enough for a Lat / Long type location.

Cheers.
USS ALASKA

Hank - That same reference Alaska mentioned includes a blurb about a tent depot at Fourth and Main. Might be one and the same.

I have reached out to someone who may know for certain. I'll update if I get additional info!

Does Cincinnati have a historical society or a city archives, they may be able to help.

The directory might prove to be the solution. The Cincinnati Public Library has an excellent reputation and a solid collection of city history. The Cincinnati Historical society is currently in transition and their collections were put in different locations while the Union Terminal, where they are headquartered, was being renovated. I will check out Alaska's reference. Darryl, thanks buddy for the 4th and Main lead. BTW taking some friends down to P-Ville for their first visit later this month. H

Give them a shot, it has never ceased to amaze me what a good librarian/archivest can point you toward.

If you know where the Cincinnati Depot was located I would very much like to know. Just curious. H Thank you in advance.

The Cincinnati Depot was made up of 12 buildings on Pearl Steet in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. Pearl Street used to run between Sycamore Street and Broadway Street. The Cincinnati Reds "Great American Ball Park" sits on the old Cincinnati Depot location. The Cincinnati Depot was also called the Pearl Street Depot and Lower Market Area. These buildings were torn down in 1934.

* Correction : The Federal Army's gunpowder and ammunition were manufactured at the Peters Fire Mill behind modern day Kings Island amusement complex in the Kings Mill area. This mill did not manufacture weapons.

20190705_140114.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Buckeye Bill' The location makes perfect sense for transportation purposes. I did not know that weapons were produced in the King's Mill area. I thought it was just gunpowder. And my own hometown, Hamilton, produced the Gywn and Campbell carbines near to the RR line. H

Gunpowder and ammunition were also made at the Peters Fire Mill in Kings Mill area.

When the Confederates attempted to invade Cincinnati in the fall of 1862, one of their main objectives was the Cincinnati Depot. Henry Heth's advanced scouts found Cincinnati heavily guarded by forts and batteries in the Northern Kentucky hills and gunboats on the Ohio River.

I hope this helps?

Bill

Last edited:
I understand you can get Skyline in Fla. now. Thanks again, one and al, for the suggestions, references and maps. My itch got scratched. H

Got this info, might help a bit, from Dave Mowery, the Morgan's Raid guy:

The "Cincinnati Depot" is actually a collection of various offices and warehouses across the city. I would refer your friend to the Williams' Cincinnati Directory of 1863, p. 339, which lists the various offices:

US Clothing Depot, 45 Vine St
US Commissary Office, NE corner 3rd & Main Sts
US Inspections Office, 174 Main St
US Ordnance Depot, 49 Sycamore St
US Quartermaster's Office, 101 E 3rd St

Be sure to remind him that today's street numbers don't match those of the 1860's. The city changed the street numbering in 1895, so I recommend that he look at the online copy of the 1863 business map of Cincinnati that is available through the Cincinnati Public Library web site to help pinpoint the locations.

The Cincinnati Depot was a massive operation that covered multiple locations throughout the city. No particular building served as the "depot," although newspaper articles would often refer to temporary supply lots as "depots."

The directory might prove to be the solution. The Cincinnati Public Library has an excellent reputation and a solid collection of city history. The Cincinnati Historical society is currently in transition and their collections were put in different locations while the Union Terminal, where they are headquartered, was being renovated. I will check out Alaska's reference. Darryl, thanks buddy for the 4th and Main lead. BTW taking some friends down to P-Ville for their first visit later this month. H

Oh no, don't do it! Perryville in July will be hot...no shade there you know! Plus, you want to have me tag along to bore you with minute details. :smile:

Hank - I am leading a Civil War tour at Greenwood Cemetery in Hamilton on October 26th. Campbell is buried there...might be neat to have a certain someone along with his certain carbine to show off. :wink:

Back