Location of 7th GA Vol Inf. on July 2, 1863

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

southerngent

Cadet
Hi,
I am looking for info. on the position of the 7th GA Vol Inf on July 2. This regiment was part of G T Anderson's Brigade, Hood's Division. What data I can find is that the 7th GA was detached from the brigade and sent to the south and right of the Confederate line to watch/defend against cavalry, while the rest of the command went forward into the Peach Orchard with the rest of Hood's division. Supposedly Anderson's Brigade arrived late afternoon July 2 on the battlefield.
My maternal GGGrandfather, Jasper N. Brown was in Co I, 7th GA, reason I am asking. I will be in Gettysburg Sept. 10-12, 2019 and want to go to that part of the field(if it can be identified). I gave away my copy of Pfanz's "Gettysburg Second Day", so I do not have any good resource to refer to now except internet. What I can find on line is what is stated above.

Any help appreciated, ty.

SG

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
This may help:

southerngent

Cadet
Thanks Tom. Do you know where on the right flank the 7th was posted? The only reference, other than that stated above, was near the Kearns house?

Ty,
Randy

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
I suppose the 7th Georgia was just south of the Alexander Currens house (Currens is sometimes rendered as Kern, Kerns or perhaps Kearns, but it appears as Currens on the 1858 Adams County map, and in the Gettysburg Compiler). If the 7th centered itself on the Emmitsburg road and was in a single rank, its right flank would be about 350 feet west of the road. That distance would obviously be greater if the men had some space between them, as is the case on a skirmish line. These are just guesses, but in order to better protect an open flank, I imagine the 7th would be spread out to cover more ground. A single rank would still offer substantial firepower.

Last edited: