Locals urge caution in removing historic statues and monuments

Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

559897f69db53.image.jpg

Should all Confederate symbols be removed?/Photo illustration
While across the country there are calls to remove reminders of the Confederacy from public places, some area residents are against removing local symbols, such as the statue of Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in downtown Dalton.

Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:29 pm

By Charles Oliver [email protected]

Following the murder of nine people inside a Charleston, S.C., church two weeks ago, governments across the country began to remove the Confederate battle flag from public buildings, companies began to refuse to sell any products with the flag and the National Park Service banned the flag from gift shops at Civil War battlefields.

And the effort to remove the flag quickly expanded to an effort to remove other symbols of the Confederacy.

More: http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/n...cle_e0f72298-22bd-11e5-9d40-93d3c7ab7e72.html

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Locals urge caution in removing historic statues and monuments

Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

559897f69db53.image.jpg

Should all Confederate symbols be removed?/Photo illustration
While across the country there are calls to remove reminders of the Confederacy from public places, some area residents are against removing local symbols, such as the statue of Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in downtown Dalton.

Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:29 pm

By Charles Oliver [email protected]

Following the murder of nine people inside a Charleston, S.C., church two weeks ago, governments across the country began to remove the Confederate battle flag from public buildings, companies began to refuse to sell any products with the flag and the National Park Service banned the flag from gift shops at Civil War battlefields.

And the effort to remove the flag quickly expanded to an effort to remove other symbols of the Confederacy.

More: http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/n...cle_e0f72298-22bd-11e5-9d40-93d3c7ab7e72.html
Dalton was, of course, the scene of the infamous drive-by Confederate flag protest and demolition derby a couple of weeks ago.

CheathamHill

First Sergeant
Annual Winner
surely tha tis photoshopped...I would think it would make quite the hub bub in GA if they removed that statue.
Then again maybe not. I don't even know what planet I am on these days.

A combination of poor writing and my poor reading made that article blurb more confusing than it should have been...it says there are people who are AGAINST removing that monument...it is still there.

Mdiesel

First Sergeant
It's labeled "photo illustration." It catches the eye, though, which is the intent.

559897f69db53.image.jpg

It's actually a funny looking photoshopped job isn't it? Traffic barriers are to large & the truck with the crane is smaller then the SUV in traffic behind it! Lol

I'm not one who supports the removal of monuments but I couldn't help laughing at this thought...

"After all these years Johnston pulling off another strategic withdraw!" :smile coffee:

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
It's actually a funny looking photoshopped job isn't it? Traffic barriers are to large & the truck with the crane is smaller then the SUV in traffic behind it! Lol

I'm not one who supports the removal of monuments but I couldn't help laughing at this thought...

"After all these years Johnston pulling off another strategic withdraw!" :smile coffee:

Yeah I noticed. His feet look a little too evenly taken off the base of the statue.

Now did Sherman cause him to make a clean break, or did Hood take his place? lol

Last edited: