Local re-enactors tell story of blacks in Civil War - FL

I can't say any such roleplay is deliberately sinister or intentionally malicious. My only intention was to show why participants' true intent has no relevance for those who oppose them. I don't judge either side right or wrong, but just tried to shed new light on the issue with hopes it clarified each position. Doing so might help reach some fair resolution for mutual benefit to everyone.
It would seem the only thing sinister is those who assume something is sinister without caring as to it true intent or relevance......

Makes a fair resolution rather impossible if one side isn't even open to seeing what they are protesting is even about.........if you believe the participants' true intent has no relevance for those who oppose them, not seeing where theres much room left for any dialogue towards any fair resolution.

It seems to me the living history community has shifted to try to be more inclusive, with reenacting USCT and even slavery to some extent. Are you saying the other side is so entrenched they don't care or arent even willing to even consider its intent?

Last edited:
Are you saying the other side is so entrenched they don't care or arent even willing to even consider its intent?
No, sir! I never meant to imply anyone would prefer ignorance versus true wisdom. But one position is far different from another view of the War and what it was fought over. My suggestion that participants' true motive has "no relevance" for their opposition meant to imply an impression they make will take on more significance than may be fair to assign. Opponents' backlash is a natural protective defense in perceived or actual presence of threats to themselves. Celebration of historical oppression and institutionalized exploitation is how this event is now visualized. Especially when no recognition is given to direct opposite but equally true facts. It's all about perception that's best neutralized by fair balance. For instance, try to imagine Jewish reactions in a scenario I described where ****s reenact a WWII Aryan Pride Day who pay homage to Hitler in full 3d Reich dress uniform. Now, envision what might happen if actual Holocaust survivors and/or descendants stage a scene inside Auschwitz beside Nazis right before Allies arrive who perform 11th-hour rescue of victims and avenge their sufferings. Can you see why both events would evoke a very different reception by interested audiences?

Thanks for
No, sir! I never meant to imply anyone would prefer ignorance versus true wisdom. But one position is far different from another view of the War and what it was fought over. My suggestion that participants' true motive has "no relevance" for their opposition meant to imply an impression they make will take on more significance than may be fair to assign. Opponents' backlash is a natural protective defense in perceived or actual presence of threats to themselves. Celebration of historical oppression and institutionalized exploitation is how this event is now visualized. Especially when no recognition is given to direct opposite but equally true facts. It's all about perception that's best neutralized by fair balance. For instance, try to imagine Jewish reactions in a scenario I described where ****s reenact a WWII Aryan Pride Day who pay homage to Hitler in full 3d Reich dress uniform. Now, envision what might happen if actual Holocaust survivors and/or descendants stage a scene inside Auschwitz beside Nazis right before Allies arrive who perform 11th-hour rescue of victims and avenge their sufferings. Can you see why both events would evoke a very different reception by interested audiences?
Thanks for your response and clarification. Their are WW2 events such as at Rockport Il that include German WW2 reenactors including Waffen SS that doesn't seem to offend anyone. Most realize you cant portray something without portraying all sides. And simply portraying past events isn't advocating any particular side or view, but simply trying to show the event.

I suppose their are some who still hate Japanese cars simply because of Japan of WW2, however would think its a decided minority and at some point we as a whole need to move on from being held hostage to hatred of events that are long over IMO

I honestly don't reenact myself, and have only been to maybe 10 CW reenactments and only one WW2 to support their efforts at preserving and trying to raise awareness of our history, I haven't ever felt anyone was celebrating or paying homage to anything controversial.

Last edited:
I've become quite interested to know more about your quick-switch CW reenactment routine. It might be an ideal way to get involved but not feel like the only realistic role I could play would demean me and my targeted audience. This dilemma is my own big hindrance to participation in CW reenactments. Do you know of some possible scenario where I could portray Black Moses aka "'General' H. Tubman"? Or better yet, Mary E. Bower, who gave up her life as free woman of color to work as "slave" housemaid at 'Massa Jeff's' Rebel whitehouse in Richmond, VA? That role is me to a perfect 'T'.
NO participation would be demeaning! First and foremost may I say you are NEEDED to add another perspective to this sad and complicated time in our history! Besides, what's so demeaning about portraying women who outsmarted the enemy? Especially Bowser outsmarting the president of the Confederacy! You would be exposing spectators to real history! A lot just happens impromptu as you stand or walk around. You could dress up and speak of how you communicated with Elizabeth Van Lew (The most hated woman in Richmond after the war) and how you basically hung around open doors, dusted desks with top secret information on them etc. Just take what you already know and verbalize it to the spectators. Many will come up to you ask you who you are and then go into your "schtick" You don't necessarily have to stay first person once you speak unless you want to. People come to these reenactments wanting to learn more and just think how your presence would "enhance" the contributions of Harriet or Mary instead of demean yourself. Focus on the positive outcome and legacy of your character's bravery and they will be impressed.
I had the pleasure of meeting a lovely African-American lady who portrayed Sojourner Truth who purposefully :giggle: avoided me because I was Rebel spy at Pres. Garfield's Lawnfield Civil War encampment until I approached her and showed her the"Union" side of my display and we became fast friends! She was thrilled to learn of another very interesting African American spy she had never heard of and planned on playing her in the future!
The more reenactments you appear at the more friends you'll meet. What's nice about portraying a woman is it's not mandatory to join a unit.
These women below are captivating their audience while enjoying educating them! Put your own spin on a character to show what you want to...it's YOUR perception and YOUR show! You don't necessarily have to speak first person if you don't want to just explain who you are and talk about the actions and accomplishments. I only "play" Rebel when I go over and agitate and tease my Yankee buddies and the audience loves that too. I've heard rumors of a potential arrest and if and when that happens I'll play along with that too! :rofl: For the most part I just use my display as a prop to explain and "represent"
Use your talent and imagination coupled with facts and go have fun "spreading the word" how much your character accomplished and their legacy helping win the war! Nothing demeaning about that!!:wink: Now go "break a leg" my dear...I'm sure you'll be fantastic! 👏
Not Civil War but she's excellent!:

Last edited:
I've become quite interested to know more about your quick-switch CW reenactment routine. It might be an ideal way to get involved but not feel like the only realistic role I could play would demean me and my targeted audience. This dilemma is my own big hindrance to participation in CW reenactments. Do you know of some possible scenario where I could portray Black Moses aka "'General' H. Tubman"? Or better yet, Mary E. Bower, who gave up her life as free woman of color to work as "slave" housemaid at 'Massa Jeff's' Rebel whitehouse in Richmond, VA? That role is me to a perfect 'T'.

There's this funny one besides the other serious videos I posted I think you'll enjoy! Albeit in my research Mary left the secrets at the seamstress for Van Lew.

Last edited:
There's this funny one besides other serious videos I think you'll enjoy!
Yes, ma'am! Your guess is 100% right about my reaction to each vicarious account by an unsung Black Civil War heroine; esp. this hilarious video. Please accept my sincere thanks. But I'm unclear on how to join their ranks in ways that educate today's Civil War enthusiast masses. Are you familiar with an all-Black group they call FREED, or Female Reenactors of Distinction? Members are African American Civil War Museum affiliate units who imitate fine examples like Mary Bowser or Liz Keckley, favorite batiste & confidante of First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln.

Big FREED Group at 150th CW Anniversary.png

FREED Ladies on 150th Anniversary of US Civil War in 2011.

Small FREED Group at Natl Parade in DC.png

Female Re-Enactors of Distinction at a National Memorial Day Parade in D.C.

Try as I might to find ladies of like mind, all roads go back where they start for Black actors urged to play a part of subservient imbecile by any white cohort. :frown:. So, how do gals of color wage a viable campaign against that same ignorance? FREED seems more geared for ad hoc engagements than year-round reenactments.

NO participation would be demeaning! First and foremost may I say you are NEEDED to add another perspective to this sad and complicated time in our history! Besides, what's so demeaning about portraying women who outsmarted the enemy? Especially Bowser outsmarting the president of the Confederacy! You would be exposing spectators to real history! A lot just happens impromptu as you stand or walk around. You could dress up and speak of how you communicated with Elizabeth Van Lew (The most hated woman in Richmond after the war) and how you basically hung around open doors, dusted desks with top secret information on them etc. Just take what you already know and verbalize it to the spectators. Many will come up to you ask you who you are and then go into your "schtick" You don't necessarily have to stay first person once you speak unless you want to. People come to these reenactments wanting to learn more and just think how your presence would "enhance" the contributions of Harriet or Mary instead of demean yourself. Focus on the positive outcome and legacy of your character's bravery and they will be impressed.
I had the pleasure of meeting a lovely African-American lady who portrayed Sojourner Truth who purposefully :giggle: avoided me because I was Rebel spy at Pres. Garfield's Lawnfield Civil War encampment until I approached her and showed her the"Union" side of my display and we became fast friends! She was thrilled to learn of another very interesting African American spy she had never heard of and planned on playing her in the future!
The more reenactments you appear at the more friends you'll meet. What's nice about portraying a woman is it's not mandatory to join a unit.
These women below are captivating their audience while enjoying educating them! Put your own spin on a character to show what you want to...it's YOUR perception and YOUR show! You don't necessarily have to speak first person if you don't want to just explain who you are and talk about the actions and accomplishments. I only "play" Rebel when I go over and agitate and tease my Yankee buddies and the audience loves that too. I've heard rumors of a potential arrest and if and when that happens I'll play along with that too! :rofl: For the most part I just use my display as a prop to explain and "represent"
Use your talent and imagination coupled with facts and go have fun "spreading the word" how much your character accomplished and their legacy helping win the war! Nothing demeaning about that!!:wink: Now go "break a leg" my dear...I'm sure you'll be fantastic! 👏
Not Civil War but she's excellent!:
I agree its hard to hear someone saying portraying any of their ancestors would be demeaning......It would seem the same somewhat as saying your ashamed of your ancestors.

I have some that were very successful, some that scratched to get by, some owned slaves, some didn't, some fought for the Union some for the MSG then CSA. But I believe they all were doing the best they could do and trying to provide for their families with the circumstances they had been dealt how they thought best, its all anyone can do, personally not ashamed or find any of them demeaning.

I've always been struck reading runaway accounts seeing both sides. I can see how on one hand a runaway account can be viewed heroic or admirable.

But on the other hand, if one had family, taking them meant putting your family at risk not just yourself, others simply abandoned their family leaving them behind. I can see where it would be a difficult choice to make, and why most choose not to try.

Last edited:
Yes, ma'am! Your guess is 100% right about my reaction to each vicarious account by an unsung Black Civil War heroine; esp. this hilarious video. Please accept my sincere thanks. But I'm unclear on how to join their ranks in ways that educate today's Civil War enthusiast masses. Are you familiar with an all-Black group they call FREED, or Female Reenactors of Distinction? Members are African American Civil War Museum affiliate units who imitate fine examples like Mary Bowser or Liz Keckley, favorite batiste & confidante of First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln.

View attachment 320194

View attachment 320195

Try as I might to find ladies of like mind, all roads go back where they start for Black actors urged to play a part of subservient imbecile by any white cohort. :frown:. So, how do gals of color wage a viable campaign against that same ignorance? FREED seems more geared for ad hoc engagements than year-round reenactments.
Trust me, if there is no one that does it locally around you (they prefer not to have two people representing the same lady at the same time) simply prepare and just show up dressed in character! That alone educates those by actually seeing an African-American woman in period costume, let alone someone who can answer any questions once approached or has into a "schtick" in first person! You can decide when and how you do it, just be armed with the facts about whom you're portraying. Heck...you can even be a "fictitious" lady if you so choose who knew these brave women and speak about them that way too in case someone else is always doing her locally.
You can shop local thrifts stores, Ebay, Amazon and Etsy for what you want to wear. If you or someone you know sews better yet. Just make sure everything is made of "natural" material, cotton, wool or silk.
Obviously there is a big difference in dressing up depending what class you want to portray, a slave or a Harriet in her latter years. It's YOUR call my dear. Don't be shy to ask me or others questions.
From what I

View attachment 320194

View attachment 320195

These ladies must be wonderful! But remember they can't be in all places at the same time and I'm sure they'd probably come individually when contacted.
You maybe want to start out by simply showing up at local reenactments in your character and get people to know you and what you do. Think of how even Harriet got known back then without social media to boot...people started talking about her and they spread the word! If you're brave you can even call local schools (8th grade studies Civil War) , libraries etc. and once you get your name out there even the local news. Blow your own horn!

Back