Living History ideas??????

18thmississippi

Corporal
Ladies and Gents,

Been in the hobby for years now and have done several Living Histories in the past and honestly kind of getting tired of doing the same ole routine of doing company formation and maneuvers. What I want to begin doing is new a different ideas, showing the public what a company in battle would have actually done, such as firing from the prone trying to get as close to the ground as possible instead of just standing there. What are some ideas y’all have ? Anything from public demonstrations to stuff to do in camp to keep the interest and spark alive. Let me know what yall do or have in mind!

Last year at Olustee at the Ladies Tea the women wrote letters to the troops which were delivered the following day with a mail call right before the battle as we fell in. I thought that was pretty neat. We did a court martial in camp once that started out as a joke but everyone really got into it and when we finished up we didn't even realize the large crowd that had gathered to watch. Done well 1st person interaction with the crowd is pretty neat but not done well is silly, it's something that takes a lot of practice.

I did Living History for several years, but after a time, it did get old. I always did my best. I would rather do drill demonstrations, strictly. I enjoyed the reenactments much more. I have done LH for different periods of history, and I prefer WWI and on to the CW. Much more interesting periods and much tougher than, because people are much more familiar with the Civil War, than say WWI, WWII and Korea, The Banana Wars would be an interesting period.

Our Company will post pickets at the edge of camp to engage the tourists. We had them posted at Gettysburg when we did Spangler's Spring. They would engage the tourists as they approached our camp. Also, had a sentry posted by our stacked arms, one to keep people from knocking them over, but people are attracted to the weapons. They walk right up and you can chat about the arms.

We also do a payroll call, get the kids lined up and issue them script. Also, a ration call, have the men draw rations. This leads right into a food prep demo.

Our unit also has a large number of wooden rifles. We give them to the kids and get them into line of battle and maneuver. The kids love it.

Our Company will post pickets at the edge of camp to engage the tourists. We had them posted at Gettysburg when we did Spangler's Spring. They would engage the tourists as they approached our camp. Also, had a sentry posted by our stacked arms, one to keep people from knocking them over, but people are attracted to the weapons. They walk right up and you can chat about the arms.

We also do a payroll call, get the kids lined up and issue them script. Also, a ration call, have the men draw rations. This leads right into a food prep demo.

Our unit also has a large number of wooden rifles. We give them to the kids and get them into line of battle and maneuver. The kids love it.
We do some of the same things. It's so important to engage the spectators, you never know who may be your next new recruit. The wooden rifles is a great idea, get the kids involved. I've seen this done at school day programs but never thought about it in camp.

I've participated in payroll calls, mail calls, and even a uniform issue... the most interesting interpretive moments for me, have been the 'common day' variety... like cooking a meal with my mess, setting up a camp (after marching in from afield) and cleaning rifles for inspection. One of my favorite memories was talking to a group of 'moderns' while using my bayonet as a spit to cook rabbit. Cool interpretive moments can happen at any time.

I do my LH in the classroom, so it is a mix of first person, and third..with a bit of trunk show thrown in. Kids really love the every day info..toilet paper? What is that??

I also remember an event that engaged kids by having them participate in period correct games... then there was a Civilian men's and lady's fashion show. THAT was very well received.
Oh yeah! Games, writing their names with quill and ink, sampling period candy! Or make a hoe cake..for the older ones, what about having them make a cipher wheel, and then have them decode a message?

A few things which I have participated in which really were a great of fun for not only the reenactors but the public as well:
1-Provost Guard stopping visitors to see their passes. No pass, off to the Provost for the Oath of Allegiance. The kids love this one.
2-Blanket inspection, issue vs veteran. One blanket with the full issue the troops initially received next to a gum blanket displaying the uniform, blanket, spare shirt, spare pair of socks (complete with holes in both the toes and heels) bowl, spoon, razor, canteen, leathers and haversack.
3-Visit from Santa in Camp with mail/pay call
4- Lincoln McClellan election. One of my favorite scenarios complete with ballot box stuffing and multiple disguises used to vote numerous times.
5-Mid 19th Century card game/dominoes. Square off in teams one spectator and a troop for folks that are just looking to get out of the heat of a July/August day. We have had folks stay as long as two hours playing cards, asking questions and just plain old fashioned visiting.
6-Fastest musket team and individual. Start with everyone (for individual competition) and work your way down to the last musket in a load in 9 or 10 times speed competition. Same thing with opposing teams (assumes you have at least 25-30 rifles present)
7-Straight razor shaving demonstration. The folks think you are nuts but just cannot seem to turn away.
8-One for the ladies, Civil War hair styling. My wife regularly would put on a styling class for the other ladies in the Civilian section which invariably attracted quite the crowd of female spectators, many who would join in on the styling exercises.

Oh yeah! Games, writing their names with quill and ink, sampling period candy! Or make a hoe cake..for the older ones, what about having them make a cipher wheel, and then have them decode a message?
I was once with a Signal Corps unit... wish we'd have thought of the cipher wheel!

How about setting up a large wall tent, and having kids sit down for some school lessons. This would require quite a bit of planning, and lots of material to do right, but I'm sure they'd love it.

I was once with a Signal Corps unit... wish we'd have thought of the cipher wheel!

How about setting up a large wall tent, and having kids sit down for some school lessons. This would require quite a bit of planning, and lots of material to do right, but I'm sure they'd love it.
You can buy old slate roofing material, and use that for your “slates”..I have my Grandmothers “slate” from school, it is stamped March 1917 and sits in a wood frame. Pretty cool.

Oh! And you can do a sealed letter, using a metal seal and a bit of playdough..it will harden..

Depending on where you are doing your living history (NPS might get cranky) try building some shelters in view of the public. Or enlist them to lend a hand. Please tell me (if doing Confederate) you've ditched the A-frames. Those are too farby. You need to be out there roughing
15268053_10210041007216023__med.jpeg

does not have permission to use photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Back