Little Women (2019) Dresses

My brain randomly circled back to this topic....

This video has become pretty popular on YouTube discussing the costumes of the 2019 Little Women:

The general consensus seems to be if you want accurate costumes watch the 1994 version which is much more faithful to period details. The 2019 version plays fast and loose with costuming and hair as many have pointed out in this thread. As the video also points out, for a poorer family in the 19th Century they should probably have a total of maybe 5 dresses that are being rotated between the 4 daughters (with many not fitting super well as a result). I think I read somewhere that the idea in the 2019 version was to convey this image that - though they were poor - they were not miserable and were able to use limited resources to make a great variety of clothes.

One thing I found interesting was the hair. I recently learned that - as a general rule - women parted their hair in the middle and men on the side of their head. This can be seen in a photo of the stylish Kate Chase with her alcoholic husband William Sprague (cheap shots I know):
se_Sprague%29%2C_R.I_-_NARA_-_529836_%28cropped%29.jpg

I saw another video on 19th Century hairstyles for women that mentioned it was very rare for women to go out without some sort of hair covering like a bonnet but this is rarely seen in the 2019 Little Women. Although I notice that Kate is not wearing one in the above photo. But she IS in this photo:
Kate_Chase_Sprague_and_General_Abercrombie.jpg

This convention is very inconsistently followed in the 2019 film.

The hairstyle video for anyone who's interested:

View attachment 402450

I saw another video on 19th Century hairstyles for women that mentioned it was very rare for women to go out without some sort of hair covering like a bonnet but this is rarely seen in the 2019 Little Women. Although I notice that Kate is not wearing one in the above photo. But she IS in this photo:
... Maybe because she isn't outside ???

The Marches are based on the Alcott family which was hardly “Victorian.” At one point they lived on a commune which included a man who walked around in the nude.
Pat Young, I LOVE your quote! To put it another way — “Pity the poor Irishmen, they surely must be mad, all of their wars are happy, and all of their songs are sad.”

Back