Little Round Top in July 1863

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
Here is a T&N I put together a few years ago, but remains one of my favorite comparisons. The original is Mathew Brady's panorama of Little Round Top taken just two weeks after the battle, Here we see the rocky hill just as the soldiers saw it. As was common for Brady, he included himself in the frame with back to camera leaning on a tree. Two of his assistants are sitting on the wagon. My modern view shows the camera location to be along the Wheatfield Road right where it intersects Crawford Avenue, which was just a dirt lane in 1863.
lrt wbrady.jpg

Thanks for sharing this awesome article and photos. But just one question; if this photo was taken just two weeks after the battle where are the body’s of men and horses that were left on the field?
That was Brady's problem, all the bodies were buried so he had to have his assistant pose as a corpse in three images. He did photograph one mummified horse at the Brian farm. Thanks for the comment and question.

It almost looks as though the tree Brady's leaning against is still there! (And it also looks like the ongoing NPS' deforestation project is working.)

Back