Little Round Top Breastworks T&N

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
bw stret.jpg

The soldiers constructing breastworks on Little Round Top incorporated existing rocks and boulders into their works whenever possible. Here on the south summit of LRT is an example shown in the works built by the 44th NY. The Gardner photograph was taken just days after being occupied by the soldiers who left behind wooden stakes empty ammo boxes, and paper from torn cartriges. I recorded the now version two years ago. Just above this position on the south side of the 44th NY Castle is a wayside that includes this photograph which I will include with the post.

2854152288_8cb535bd9f_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the breastworks on Little Round Top were built after the Confederate attack. When Vincent's men formed on the hill, they didn't have time to build anything but rather took advantage of the rocks that covered LRT. So, instead of forming up in clean lines, Vincent's men were in loose groups that gathered around available cover.

Ryan

I like the before and after images. It looks like at least one tree might have been there one, but maybe only the one. Thanks for posting this. I love the B and A threads.

Back