Little Round Top at Gettysburg Seen From Devil's Den

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
DSC01419.JPG

Here is a shot I took of Little Round Top that is very similar to the photograph taken by Alexander Gardner's crew just three days after the Battle of Gettysburg ended. That is the 44th/12th NY Castle on the right summit and the monument to the 91st Pa Infantry at left center. Over one million tourists a year visit the "rocky hill" sometimes as many as 10,000 a day during the peak of tourist season. If interested in seeing Gardner's view of this scene On July 6th, 1863 check out my post on the Battle of Gettysburg forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 126761
Here is a shot I took of Little Round Top that is very similar to the photograph taken by Alexander Gardner's crew just three days after the Battle of Gettysburg ended. That is the 44th/12th NY Castle on the right summit and the monument to the 91st Pa Infantry at left center. Over one million tourists a year visit the "rocky hill" sometimes as many as 10,000 a day during the peak of tourist season. If interested in seeing Gardner's view of this scene On July 6th, 1863 check out my post on the Battle of Gettysburg forum.
Don't forget the 16th Michigan monument in front right of that photo (my cousin Lt. Wallace Jewett was killed there July 2nd)!!

...And why do you call it the 44th/12th NY monument?... adding the 12th NY is new to me

Don't forget the 16th Michigan monument in front right of that photo (my cousin Lt. Wallace Jewett was killed there July 2nd)!!

...And why do you call it the 44th/12th NY monument?... adding the 12th NY is new to me
Thanks for the comment and question. Regarding the 44th/12 NY, The monument is dedicated to both units. In fact, it was designed to be 44' high and 12' wide to honor them both. If interested, check out the Stone Sentinels explanation at this link:
http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/union-monuments/new-york/new-york-infantry/12th-44th-new-york/

Back