Discussion Little more than an iron blade stuck in a rake handle with bunting hung from the shaft.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
When Michigan First Lancers were disbanded the regiment's remaining equipment was auctioned off to defray the cost of raining the regiment. One report claimed that the lances were little more than an iron blade stuck in a rake handle with bunting hung from the shaft to add a "patriotic look". One newspaper article thought the lances would make good spears for spear fishing. So how many of these survived?
https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/i...avalry-lance-rankin-s-michigan-lancer-s-28201
Apparently an iron blade stuck on a rake handle goes for a fair amount of money.

I don't think a description of "rake handle with a blade stuck on it" is a fair analogy judging from the photos. Granted that it was not going to be weapon of choice, but it appears to be well constructed and balanced lance. As to it's value, it is like any other related Civil War connected item. What makes a sword buckle worth thousands or a coat button sell for such crazy prices?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The lances were made by Samuel Shaw (also said to be W. H. Shaw) of Detroit Michigan who made the lances and swords for the 1st​ U. S. Lancers. This is almost certainly the same S. Shawe shown in the Gazetteer. A few of the Shaw lances have been photographed and some sold. As far as I know none of the Shaw made swords have been found. Even if Shaw only made 800 or so swords it would seem like a few would have been found.