" Little Corporal ", Mascot Of Co. A, 22nd Inf... ?

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Not certain which 22nd Infantry, of course found this in the Archives. I'd never heard of Little Corporal but thought of course @LoyaltyOfDogs would have? She's up on all our amazing canines who kept our soldiers company- if Little Corporal has been posted here before please excuse! Really do not mean to come across like this is some big discovery, just very soft on dogs. Guess he's cute enough for a 2nd look?

dog1a.jpg

Not certain which 22nd Infantry, of course found this in the Archives. I'd never heard of Little Corporal but thought of course @LoyaltyOfDogs would have? She's up on all our amazing canines who kept our soldiers company- if Little Corporal has been posted here before please excuse! Really do not mean to come across like this is some big discovery, just very soft on dogs. Guess he's cute enough for a 2nd look?

View attachment 58543
He looks like he must have been quite a character, doesn't he! We ran across his photo just a few weeks ago when America's Civil War Magazine featured the CDV with that handwritten note on its Facebook page. He was with the 22nd Ohio Volunteers. Wish we knew more about him!

He looks like he must have been quite a character, doesn't he! We ran across his photo just a few weeks ago when America's Civil War Magazine featured the CDV with that handwritten note on its Facebook page. He was with the 22nd Ohio Volunteers. Wish we knew more about him!

OH ok, so it's the 22nd Ohio, thank you! Well since he's made an appearance on Facebook of all places I'd have to guess it won't be long before someone has tracked down more information! Wonder how many more of these mascots are out there? This was smack in the middle of National Archives, which mean some other group must have handed it over to them at some point, perhaps the Ohio folks or a family who discovered it in their own archives.

I tried searching for more on him. As of yet not found much.
Readers of Michael Zucchero's wonderful book "Loyal Hearts: Histories of American Civil War Canines" may recognize Little Corporal's photo from the illustration of the 22nd Ohio's 1904 reunion card that appears on page 165. It is the same pose as shown on the CDV. The reunion card's caption beneath the dog's photo reads "Your Mascot 1861-1865," but doesn't identify him by name. The book's caption notes that a string attached to the card appears to hold some of the dog's hair.

Back