Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

A few more..
IMG_1386.jpg

Sitting Bull's pictograph of the vision that he had of soldiers falling into the Indian camp upside down that he had during the Sun Dance. This is at Deer Medicine Rocks.

IMG_1388.jpg

My friend and co-author Jim Hessler and me at Sitting Bull's pictograph at Deer Medicine Rocks. This was the highlight of both trips.
IMG_1395.jpg

The Morass, on Custer's final approach to the battlefield.
IMG_1427.jpg

Medicine Tail Ford on the Little Big Horn River. The other side of the river is Crow land and is private property that belongs to the Real Bird family.
IMG_1448.jpg

Last Stand Hill from the path to the Deep Ravine.

Gettysburg LBG Jim Hessler and I are nearly ready to begin writing a complete battlefield guide to the Rosebud and LBH battlefields.

On this day in 1839, George Armstrong Custer was born in Harrison County, Ohio. Although he is best known for his demise at the hands of the Lakota and Cheyenne Indians at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, Montana, Custer built a reputation as a dashing and effective cavalry leader during the American Civil War.

FB_IMG_1575548649446.jpg

Palo Duro Canyon in Texas; the edge of the Llano Estacado. Where a far better colonel and regiment, Ranald Mackenzie and the 4th Cavalry, broke the hostiles of the southern plains---Comanche, Kiowa and Southern Cheyenne. And with remarkably little loss of life on either side.

Mackenzie had an outstanding record during the Rebellion and Grant considered him one of the most promising young officers in the army.

5D14925B-3011-4FEC-BBC0-85569233A0FC.jpeg
CC0271A3-98A4-40DC-BD23-E5C8BA75387E.jpeg

Back