Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

huskerblitz

Major
dlofting said:
The stone refers to him as a Brevet Major General, which he was, although he was a Lt. Colonel in the regular army. As an aside officers were often referred to by their brevet rank......sort of an honor thing......even though they were officially acting in a lesser capacity.
Could be. Most of the the items I've read or seen beyond the Civil War have referred to him by his Lt. Colonel rank.

dlofting

First Sergeant
Could be. Most of the the items I've read or seen beyond the Civil War have referred to him by his Lt. Colonel rank.

It happened more often when the officers were referring to each other.......for example Custer would address Benteen as Colonel, which was his brevet rank from the Civil War, as opposed to Captain, which was his regular army rank. Just something I've picked up reading books about the battle.

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I hope you guys and gals enjoy my YouTube video.

It is long but the video contains both battlefields and the museum.

I highly recommend this venue!

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
On June 26, 1876, the Battle of Little Bighorn is completed with an U.S. Army - 7th Cavalry defeat.

IMG_1108.JPG

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
Good stuff.....thanks !!! I was last there in 2001 (9/11 in fact) and will be in the vicinity in the next few weeks. It wasn't really on the agenda though ......... until now. :dance:

Greg Taylor

Sergeant Major
I spent two days on the battlefield just a year ago this week. It is without doubt one of the most fascinating battlefields I have visited, and I've been to many. To fully appreciate the experience one must have read at least two quality books on the subject. The two I read, along with a considerable amount of online research were: A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn, the Last Great Battle of the American West by James Donovan and The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick. Of the two I preferred the Donovan book.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I spent two days on the battlefield just a year ago this week. It is without doubt one of the most fascinating battlefields I have visited, and I've been to many. To fully appreciate the experience one must have read at least two quality books on the subject. The two I read, along with a considerable amount of online research were: A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn, the Last Great Battle of the American West by James Donovan and The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick. Of the two I preferred the Donovan book.
I was most impressed, while standing on Last Stand Hill, with how futile it must have been to take snap shots at the Indians advancing up the coulee, while mounted Indians were whooping it up behind you.