Listing of soldiers in Forrest's command; roster availability?

As has been pointed out, regiments basically came and went under Forrest as he was a General. One cavalry regiment may be with him one month and transferred the next, so if your ancestor was a Confederate Cavalryman in the Western Theater there's a decent chance he was there.

Forrest's original regiment when the war started was the 7th Tennessee Cavalry if that helps. If your family history has a company name, regiment or even State from which he served it would help.

Lots of good advice above. It would be far easier for you (and us) to start with your gg grandfather and look for a link to Forrest than to start with Forrest and look for a soldier serving under him.

I will say in my family I often heard my gg grandfather "rode with Forrest." Which, if you mean served in a CSA cavalry unit while Forrest was in overall command, is basically true. But somehow the words don't quite leave that impression! Forrest's fame has drawn people to link themselves to him.

Good advice for finding your g-g-grandfather. Amazing researchers on this Forum.

A couple of my family history stories turned out not to be factually correct. False ! Sometimes the actual facts prove more interesting than the family story.
Growing up in the Deep South we joked Forrest must have had at least 100,000 troopers if the road with Forrest claim was correct. If the ancestor was not cavalry then it Lt. This or Capt. That. Apparently the Confederate Army had no Privates..!

Thomas Jefferson Fuller was my great great grandfather. He was born in Perryville, Alabama in 1847. He served under Bedford Forrest in the civil war.

My mothers cousin is doing all the leg work on this. This is what he has so far. I am wondering where the 8th was, how long, etc, etc.

State of Texas Civil War Archive Pension

FORM A

SOLDIER’S APPLICATION

FOR PENSION

Thomas Jefferson Fuller applied in Eastland, Texas on December 18th​, 1922 and was approved December 18th​, 1922 with the pension started on the effective date of December 1st​, 1922.

T.J. applied for a pension at the age of 75. Listed his place of birth as Perryville, Alabama. Has been living in the city of Gorman, County of Eastland, Texas for 43 years having been in Texas since 1867.

T.J. enlisted in Co H, 8th​ Alabama Cavalry in June of 1862 and was paroled at Selma, Alabama, in June 1865. T.J. states in the application that he served with General Joe Wheeler’s Command under General Bedford Forest.

Info from the US War Department states that Thomas Jefferson Fuller, Private, Co H, 8th​ Alabama Cavalry appears on the roll of prisoners of war paroled at Selma, Alabama during the month of June 1865 by Wm. R. Marshall, Colonel of the 7th​ Minn. Vol.

OK, so "T.J. enlisted in Co H, 8th Alabama Cavalry". You're looking for a list of other soldiers in the 8th Alabama Cav.?

The only surviving page from his service record is the one from which your last paragraph above was drawn (about his parole at Selma).

Thomas Jefferson Fuller was my great great grandfather. He was born in Perryville, Alabama in 1847.
Born in 1847 - so he would have been 16 years old in 1863 and 18 years old when he was paroled at Selma in June 1865. So it's entirely possible that his service late in the war in H/8th AL Cav was his only Civil War service. It's also possible that he served in another outfit prior to joining the 8th AL Cav. Any indication in family lore or stories that he may have served previously in an infantry regiment?

I don't think you really need a list of everyone who served under Forrest to confirm what is written in the record. Your ancestor did serve under Forrest in the broad sense of the term. If you are interested in the CW experiences of the 8th Alabama Cavalry, I suggest you search specifically for that unit. For instance, here is the National Park Service information on that unit:

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=CAL0008RC02

There are a number of ways to approach any one soldier's war record. If your mother's cousin is having trouble getting good information we would be glad to help out!

There were actually two cavalry regiments referred to as the 8th Alabama Cavalry Regiment; Ball's-Hatch's 8th Regiment, also sometimes called the 9th Alabama and Livingston's 8th Regiment. The field officers in Ball's-Hatch's regiment were:

Col. Elias P. Ball
Lt. Col. John L. Chancellor
Col. Lemuel D. Hatch
Maj. William T. Poe
Maj. Richard H. Redwood

The field officers in Livingston's Regiment were:

Lt. Col. Thomas L. Faulkner
Col. Henry J. Livingston
Maj. Sidney A. Moses

TJ's brother, George Washington Fuller also left home and join the army and this is what my cousin found on him. I think GW got mixed and joined the Infantry instead of the cavalry if he meant to serve with his brother. The wrong 8th Alabama...

FORM B

WIDOW’S APPLICATION FOR PENSION​

This application was disapproved. Mrs. Ella Fuller did not have enough information nor any ex soldiers who had served with her husband to sign and witness for her.

The next application is for George Washington Fuller. But it was his widow, Mrs. Ella Fuller of 1111 West Magnolia Avenue, San Antonio, Bixar County, Texas who applied for a pension in Aug 18th​, 1911.

G.W. and Ella were married October 3rd​, 1866 in the county of Perry, in the State of Alabama.

G.W. Fuller died August 31, 1910 in the County of Bandera, in the State of Texas at the age of 59 which puts his birth year in 1851. The 8th​ Alabama Infantry was part of Wilcox’s Brigade that participated in Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg in July 1863, if this is true that means he may have been about 12 years old.

It also states that Ella Fuller was 59 years old Feb 5th​ 1911 and was born in Union Parish, Louisiana and had resided in Texas since 1870.

The prisoner of war records from the US War Department shows that a George W. Fuller, Private, Company K, 8th​ Alabama Infantry, Confederate States Army, enlisted May 16, 1861, surrendered May 4th​, 1865 and was paroled June, 1865, at Selma, Alabama.

The other information I found was that there is in Perry County Alabama at a place called Buck Creek a cemetery called Fuller Cemetery. This cemetery is supposed to be over 150 years old and this is the Fuller family burial plot. Buck Creek is a little bit south of Selma. Fuller Cemetery at 323750N/0870618W Buck Creek

Back