List of Missourian’s Who Served in the Civil War.

I am currently in the process of writing a book that acts as a roster for every soldier who served in the Civil War, north or south, infantry all the way to guerrilla fighters. The only problem is I do not have a Fold3 membership, but I do have an account on CWT, so I think any questions on service records I have will be just fine. I am starting the information process today so it will of course be awhile, but hope that if I have a question, you guys will be here to help. Thanks!

wihistorybuff

That's a big project! Have you used Family Search much? They have a lot of records online and all are free to use. You can see the Fold3 records there indexed - so you get the information but don't see the actual cards. It's not as good but still helpful.

That's a big project! Have you used Family Search much? They have a lot of records online and all are free to use. You can see the Fold3 records there indexed - so you get the information but don't see the actual cards. It's not as good but still helpful.
Yes it is, I just finished the 1st Missouri Infantry (Union), and am going to start the 2nd infantry right now, I am determined to get it done.

By "List of Missourian's Who Served in the Civil War", I assume you mean every soldier who served for a Missouri regiment - not every soldier who lived in Missouri.

Yeah, that is a huge job. The Soldiers & Sailors database (which is drawn from the Compiled Military Service Records at NARA) has 552 units from Missouri (242 Union, 310 Confederate) comprising 265994 men (348367 names, including aliases). You can go to each regiment like the 2nd Missouri Infantry and click on View Battle Unit's Soldiers to see all of the soldiers in that regiment. But even that will take years to compile a list of soldiers who served in any Missouri unit.

So let me save you a lot of work. Click HERE for an extract from the Soldiers & Sailors database listing the 265994 soldiers who fought for Missouri, sorted by regiment, company, and then name. After unzipping it, you should be able to open it in Excel or any spreadsheet.

Last edited:
By "List of Missourian's Who Served in the Civil War", I assume you mean every soldier who served for a Missouri regiment - not every soldier who lived in Missouri.

Yeah, that is a huge job. The Soldiers & Sailors database (which is drawn from the Compiled Military Service Records at NARA) has 552 units from Missouri (242 Union, 310 Confederate) comprising 265994 men (348367 names, including aliases). You can go to each regiment like the 2nd Missouri Infantry and click on View Battle Unit's Soldiers to see all of the soldiers in that regiment. But even that will take years to compile a list of soldiers who served in any Missouri unit.

So let me save you a lot of work. Click HERE for an extract from the Soldiers & Sailors database listing the 265994 soldiers who fought for Missouri, sorted by regiment, company, and then name. After unzipping it, you should be able to open it in Excel or any spreadsheet.
Wow @Bob Velke - that sounds like a huge help

Back