Restricted Lisburn, Northern Ireland Confederate flag issue?!?

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...onfederate-slavery-flag-removed-35850337.html

"Mr Catney tweeted his concerns about the flag, which had been raised in Lisburn, on Tuesday night. He wrote: "A number of deeply concerned residents have contacted me, appalled that a flag representing the enslavement of over three million people has been erected in Lisburn."

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2017-06-21/confederate-flag-erected-in-lisburn-is-removed/

"They added: “Police in Lisburn are aware of reports a confederate flag had been erected in Lisburn. It is our understanding this has now been removed."

Someone just doing a little chain-yanking here?

USS ALASKA

Lisburn is an area not far outside of Belfast. The colours of the Confederate Battle flag match the colours of the Union Jack and this area, in the past at least, has been more strongly Unionist/Loyalist (as in relating to the British Crown).

It is coming up to the 12th July in Northern Ireland, and this is when the Orange Order celebrate the victory of (Protestant) William of Orange over (Catholic) King James at the Battle of the Boyne in Ireland. That's probably why there is also red, white and blue bunting being displayed, as a lead up to the celebrations. On that day, every year, Loyalist communities have marches, bands, build huge bonfires, and in the past have burnt effigies of the Pope. Also, in days gone by, these celebrations would generally be a 'no go' zone for any Catholic (considered to be a Nationalist). From an Irish Nationalist perspective it is a 'triumphalist' celebration and can, at times, become quite ugly. I could tell you a story about that, but I'll leave it for now.

It seems to me that some Loyalist daredevil has put the flag up as some kind of statement...if they see it as relating to supremacy then that is their 'cause celebre'. From my perspective, these people couldn't come anywhere near the men who carried that flag into battle, leaving politics aside (and I am talking about soldiers and battle flags, not politics).

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
So the South rises again but in N. Ireland?
Don't know about that , thanks to immigration Northern Ireland and even the Irish Republic is becoming more multi racial and religious every day. The Confederate flag might not be a good fit for Ireland. Lybia not the American South supported the IRA something the Catholics are well aware off.
@Cavalry Charger can clue us in to what's going on in the Irish maternity wards as far as the future of Eire goes.
Leftyhunter

Don't know about that , thanks to immigration Northern Ireland and even the Irish Republic is becoming more multi racial and religious every day. The Confederate flag might not be a good fit for Ireland. Lybia not the American South supported the IRA something the Catholics are well aware off.
@Cavalry Charger can clue us in to what's going on in the Irish maternity wards as far as the future of Eire goes.
Leftyhunter
I could think of so much to say here @leftyhunter , but I'll stick to the maternity ward as you requested :tongue: The face of Ireland is definitely changing with immigration and, though I moved away several years ago now, there were a lot of African (mainly Nigerian) immigrants/refugees, and Eastern Europeans (mainly Poles) who had come into the country at the time. Many of them were still Christian, so the religious aspect of the country pretty much remained the same, but that may be changing now, too. I would call the Ireland of the past very mono-cultural, and of course because her economy often faltered it wasn't a place people sought out in terms of immigration. In fact, they more often left in their droves seeking opportunity elsewhere. With the 'Celtic Tiger', or an upturn in Ireland's economic fortunes, came the immigrants. And, of course, being part of the EU facilitated the free movement of other European citizens into the country. It all went belly up in 2008 unfortunately which is when I left, and probably a few other people did, too. My two daughters were born in Dublin, btw. One of them flew back there on Thursday, and the other one goes tomorrow. They are spending a few weeks back in Ireland over the summer, so I will see if I can get the 'skinny' from them while they're there :wink:

civilken

1st Lieutenant
You might just want to check who's flying the flag first @civilken :wink:
I'm sure we all have an idea of people who want to fly that flag some think it's cool some don't understand and some who just want to be noticed. I have nothing against reenactors who use the flag in demonstrations on the field and in parades but for some people and we all know who they are just want to start trouble.

Will Carry

First Sergeant
I'm a Southerner. I love the South and it's people. I love the food and the out of doors. When I see my Southern brothers and sisters flying that flag, I cringe. I don't say anything though. I know those people and they are not to be messed with.