Lipford / Lippford - 54th VA Infantry

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

Kyle Kalasnik

Private
Richard Arthur Lipford was my 3rd great grandfather. I’m looking for any information on his service.

All I have found is from a book by my mother’s distant cousin. Attached is the page.

I am intrigued that it states there is no service record of him, and that he is only listed on the post war roster.
FB76A807-8CDA-4B26-B9DC-8015F74B46AD.png

Any other information or help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Arthur Lipford was my 3rd great grandfather. I’m looking for any information on his service.

All I have found is from a book by my mother’s distant cousin. Attached is the page.

I am intrigued that it states there is no service record of him, and that he is only listed on the post war roster.View attachment 324860

Any other information or help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.eirant
This is all I could find. His name was indeed on the roster. For whatever reason, he apparently didn't serve. There could have been several reasons. I see his occupation in 1850 was "overseer". I believe that was an occupation that could exempt one from Military Service. Then I see his occupation in 1860 isn't listed. Did he own or inherit any land and/or slaves? There may also have been physical ailments of some sort, I'm sure a reason could be found with more digging, but his name was indeed on the regiment's rolls.

Screenshot (39).png

Last edited:

I am intrigued that it states there is no service record of him, and that he is only listed on the post war roster.View attachment 324860

Any other information or help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
He has a find-a-grave page: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43814834/richard-arthur-lipford

The regiment was sent west to the Army of Tennessee. As the war went on and casualties mounted, regiments were consolidated. His name might be on the rolls of one of the consolidated regiments?

Screenshot (42).png

Kyle Kalasnik

Private
This is all I could find. His name was indeed on the roster. For whatever reason, he apparently didn't serve. There could have been several reasons. I see his occupation in 1850 was "overseer". I believe that was an occupation that could exempt one from Military Service. Then I see his occupation in 1860 isn't listed. Did he own or inherit any land and/or slaves? There may also have been physical ailments of some sort, I'm sure a reason could be found with more digging, but his name was indeed on the regiment's rolls.

View attachment 324999
Appreciate the information.

I’m pretty sure he did inherit a few slaves from his father.

Now you said his name is on the regimental roster, but apparently didn’t serve, so is that like a modern day entry level separation, where the individual enlists and within a few days or weeks (generally while in boot camp) they are discharged for any number of reasons?

Kyle Kalasnik

Private
He has a find-a-grave page: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43814834/richard-arthur-lipford

The regiment was sent west to the Army of Tennessee. As the war went on and casualties mounted, regiments were consolidated. His name might be on the rolls of one of the consolidated regiments?

View attachment 325009
Thanks, I have seen his grave site, and there is no marker to reflect his service (not that that is always the case).

Thank you for the advice I’m going to do some research on the 54th VA Bn.

Appreciate the information.

I’m pretty sure he did inherit a few slaves from his father.

Now you said his name is on the regimental roster, but apparently didn’t serve, so is that like a modern day entry level separation, where the individual enlists and within a few days or weeks (generally while in boot camp) they are discharged for any number of reasons?
His name is on the "post-war" roster. In post-war years he probably was recognized as being a member of his company (probably a Militia Company), formed before the war. They then became Company B 54th Virginia. I'm almost certain he, being a slave-owner, especially of several slaves, would have exempted him from service, particularly after the first conscription law was passed.

Goodpal

Private

What kind of name is Lipford?