Lincoln's Last Photo?

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
640px-Lincoln-Warren-1865-03-06.jpeg

Lincoln on the White House balcony, March 6, 1865. This is the last known high-quality photograph of Lincoln.

The last known photograph of President Lincoln alive. Taken on the balcony at the White House, March 6, 1865. 1 photographic print : albumen ; photo ca. 11 × 14 in. on mount 20 × 24 in.

From the Library of Congress

There seems to be some controversy regarding which photo was Mr Lincoln's last. The one I always believed was the one taken in April of 65, was used for a painting of the president, which was actually done in Feb. of 65.
Many experts now seem to think this was his last, taken by Henry F. Warren.

According to Lincoln's secretaries, John Hay and John Nicolay, the actual last photographs were taken on the White House's south portico by photographer Henry F. Warren of Waltham, Massachusetts. This information is stated in their Complete Works of Abraham Lincoln which was published in 1894.

The picture at the top of the page is one of those made by Warren on the White House's south portico during the late afternoon of Monday, March 6, 1865. Warren took three pictures: one of Lincoln standing and two sitting. The seated poses were made on a chair which Lincoln himself carried out and placed on the balcony. One of those is pictured at the top. The standing pose is lost. The original negatives from all three poses are lost. Lincoln's ruffled hair is at least partially due to the wind on the balcony. The Warren photograph is from the Lloyd Ostendorf collection.

http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln71.html

Yes, previously, I always accepted the second photo as the last one, too. I've had it in the AMERICAN HERITAGE book of the Civil War since I was in high school. In that book, I believe it is titled: "The mark of war".

Back