1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Lincoln's Funeral Train Reproduction

Discussion in 'Railroads and Steam Locomotives' started by Southern Unionist, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Southern Unionist

Southern Unionist Sergeant

In August of 2015, a special exhibit visited North Carolina as a part of a regional tour. It consisted of a high quality, high accuracy reproduction of the railroad car that carried Abraham Lincoln's body from Washington to Illinois for burial, and a fully functional reproduction of one of the 21 different 4-4-0 steam locomotives that pulled the train at various points along the route, between Apr. 21 and May 3, 1865. Reenactors were on hand to guard the car, as it would have been guarded by the US Army at every significant stop along the way.

The display location is Spencer, NC, at the largest surviving roundhouse in the US.

DSC06328.JPG DSC06330.JPG DSC06382.JPG DSC06381.JPG DSC06383.JPG DSC06384.JPG DSC06405.JPG DSC06407.JPG
    Next post: Interior

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Southern Unionist

The car had been built as an office car for the President, never used. Detailed records were kept on the car's construction and contents, making accurate reconstruction relatively easy. Amazingly, the original carpet manufacturer was still in business, and they knew exactly what pattern they had supplied for the original project.

DSC06368.JPG DSC06367.JPG DSC06371.JPG DSC06372.JPG DSC06373.JPG DSC06375.JPG DSC06378.JPG

4. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

This is very interesting. I had read of this, but I had never seen any photos of it. Thank you for posting it. I would have liked to have seen a photo of the locomotive also, still a great thread.

5. Southern Unionist

The fully functional engine replica was completed in 2009.

DSC06320.JPG DSC06319.JPG DSC06340.JPG DSC06341.JPG DSC06356.JPG DSC06394.JPG DSC06395.JPG DSC06397.JPG

Next and final post: Reenactment

6. Southern Unionist

DSC06410.JPG DSC06411.JPG DSC06360.JPG DSC06361.JPG DSC06362.JPG DSC06345.JPG DSC06396.JPG

The procession and ceremony ended at the roundhouse turntable, as shown in the first post.

7. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

This was a fabulous day!! I'm so glad @Southern Unionist captured it in pictures. I loved talking to the reenactors, watching the demonstrations and seeing the ladies in their hoop skirts.

8. captaindrew

captaindrew First Sergeant

Looks like a great event and what a wonderful job on that car. Have any of you visited the Steam into History operation in Pa? They have a similar engine as the Leviathan built by the same company. It's been on my list and have wanted to check it out.

9. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

They're posted above. Check these out @mofederal!

chellers, JohnW. and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  10. Southern Unionist

I have not been there, but somebody in Gettysburg had good things to say about it. Besides the station in New Freedom, PA, they also have the historic station at New Hanover Junction, which was part of the original route of the funeral train, as well as Lincoln's train to deliver the Gettysburg Address.

http://www.steamintohistory.com/

JohnW. and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  11. captaindrew

Thanks, was wanting to check it out when I was in Gettysburg last summer but ran out of time. Going to try again next summer.

JohnW. and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  12. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Sergeant

Thank you for posting. Didn't know this existed and you took wonderful pictures.

13. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Great photos, Douglas. Thanks for sharing.

chellers, Cavalry Charger and JohnW. like this.
  14. Jimklag

chellers, Cavalry Charger and JohnW. like this.
  15. captaindrew

Kloke locomotive works in Elgin Ill. They also built it's sister, the York that operates at Steam into History in Pa.

16. captaindrew

The York at Steam into History steam-engine-york-17-0031.jpg

17. Jimklag

NH Civil War Gal and JohnW. like this.
  18. bankerpapaw

bankerpapaw 2nd Lieutenant

Beautiful pictures. Awesome looking engine and train cars.

19. Southern Unionist

While it's quite rare for a new steamer to get built these days, it's been an option for a long time. Quite a few Americans still know how to build a small boiler at a reasonable cost. In the seventies, two regional amusement parks that I kept up with owned relatively new narrow gauge steam trains that burned either LP gas or propane, with tanks hidden in the tender under the cosmetic woodpile. Most likely, the burners operated on automatic, based on upper and lower steam pressure settings.

Due to corrosion and metal fatigue, buying a new 4-4-0 is surely the only way to get one running now. No government inspector is going to pass a pressure vessel that's more than 150 years old for public operation.

One great thing about a tourist line in a place like rural PA, clean backgrounds are not hard to come by. The museum at Spencer has a lot of visual clutter. My avatar pic required about an hour of airbrushing to get rid of hideous power lines and nasty looking poles that appeared to be growing out of the stack. A uniformly blue or overcast sky over the stack would have made it easy, but that wasn't the case.

4-4-0.jpg
    And now for a shot that only a true railhead can appreciate... a practical method of pulling historic cars with link and pin coupling, with a modern locomotive that has a knuckle:

DSC06408.JPG
    That day, they did not allow the special car and engine to be photographed together, wanting to save that moment for Springfield, Ill.

20. Jimklag

Back in the day, we fabricated a faux knuckle to attach to vintage cars to be able to move them around with a switch engine or trackmobile. I wonder whatever happened to that thing. I guess Trinity must have it now.

JohnW. likes this.
  21. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

That is so cool...thanks for sharing!!! :d

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)