Lincoln Votes in the South - 1860 Election

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

16thVA

First Sergeant
I keep coming across this information on the internet, but none of the sites actually say 'where' or what their reference is-"He received no votes in nine states in the Deep South, and won only 2 of 996 counties in the entire South." I have Randall's history of the War, but he doesn't say. Anyone know the specifics? Thanks.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
It would be unheard of today, but in about 9 of those states, Lincoln was not on the ballot. So. He got no votes. (Besides, it was a bit risky to vote republican.)

16thVA

First Sergeant
Thanks, I would have to assume from the graph that it was either Missouri or Delaware, Delaware being the most likely. He was only on the ballot in 3 other states, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland and the percentages don't seem enough to win 2 counties. Yes, Ole, since voting back then was mostly by voice, you had to be careful who you voted for since everyone would know.

OpnDownfall

Cadet
Technically, in the 36th Congress (1859-1861), although the majority party in the House, the Republicans were not a majority of the votes.(of 237 members, there were 113 Reps. 101 Dems. and 23 Others)
In the Senate the Republicans were not even the majority party. (of 66 members, there were 26 Reps. 38 Dems. and 2 Others)

P.S. Yancey, was part of the conspiracy to elect a Republican President to justify secession. Highly unlikely that he would have favored the election of anyone else.