Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

“No, General Ripley, it is impossible for me to adopt and follow your suggestions. I deeply appreciate the feeling which has led you to urge them on me, but I must go on as I have begun in the course marked out for me; for I cannot bring myself to believe that any human being lives who would do me any harm.”
Richmond, VA. April 5, 1865 when general Edward Ripley informed Lincoln about a plot on the president's life.

I can appreciate that Lincoln did not want to disrupt his planned visit to Richmond, but with a bitter civil war still ongoing, how could he believe that no human being at all might wish him harm??

I can appreciate that Lincoln did not want to disrupt his planned visit to Richmond, but with a bitter civil war still ongoing, how could he believe that no human being at all might wish him harm??

If I have my timeline correct I believe that Lincoln had already completed his tour of Richmond and was ready to return to City Point on the Malvern when General Ripley informed Lincoln of a plot in Washington. Lincoln blew it off by reminding him he had just walked the streets of Richmond "and anyone could have shot me from a second-story window.

Now, don't get me wrong ... I'm not a Lincoln was a saint guy. However, he is a bit like Shakespeare in that he wrote so much that was, well... Shakespearean. I don't see anybody since, really, who's body of work compares to what Lincoln said/wrote. He was a great man and I'll be looking forward to seeing future posted quotes.

I can agree with you on that, and I am sure everyone knows I am no Lincoln fan, worshiper, nor blind to his faults, but I also think Lincoln was a good president. Lincoln was wise, Intelligent, and cunning.......Yes had his faults and blame. In saying that I also will say he was the right man at the right time for the Union to win his war. There are many wonderful and eloquent quotes by Lincoln. He truly is the "Shakespeare" of the presidency !

"I have always hated slavery, I think as much as any Abolitionist."
--July 10, 1858 Speech at Chicago

Respectfully,

William

When the conduct of men is designed to be influenced, persuasion, kind, unassuming persuasion, should ever be adopted. It is an old and a true maxim, that a ‘drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.”- Temperance Address, February 22, 1842

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. "

Abraham Lincoln

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. "

Abraham Lincoln
He was very prophetic, some things never change.

"The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. In the present civil war it is quite possible that God's purpose is something different from the purpose of either party -- and yet the human instrumentalities, working just as they do, are of the best adaptation to effect His purpose. I am almost ready to say that this is probably true -- that God wills this contest, and wills that it shall not end yet. By his mere great power, on the minds of the now contestants, He could have either saved or destroyed the Union without a human contest. Yet the contest began. And, having begun He could give the final victory to either side any day. Yet the contest proceeds." - Abraham Lincoln ~ September 1862

Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, Lincoln never said that - Snopes

Back