Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

The above notes and book of the author mentioned have been debunked.

Search: Lincoln's lost speech for the story.

Unionblue

Unionblue

Hi UB and welcome back to CWT. Great having you back.

Debunked by whom?

But we will go with what you have stated.

I will say then, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way, the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of making voters of the negroes, or jurors, or qualifying them to hold office, or having them to marry with white people. I will say in addition, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I suppose, will forever forbid the two races living together upon terms of social and political equality, and inasmuch, as they cannot so live, that while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, that I as much as any other man am in favor of the superior position being assigned to the white man. I say in this connection, that I do not perceive, however, that because the white man is to have the superior position, that it requires that the negro should be denied everything.
Source: The Lincoln-Douglas Debates: The First Complete, Unexpurgated Text, p. 189, Editor Harold Holzer. Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.

I am going out on a limb here by assuming "they" have not debunked this................Yet?

I would Honestly like to read more on the debunking of Henry C. Whitney's Vols.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

Hi UB and welcome back to CWT. Great having you back.

Debunked by whom?

But we will go with what you have stated.

I will say then, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way, the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of making voters of the negroes, or jurors, or qualifying them to hold office, or having them to marry with white people. I will say in addition, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I suppose, will forever forbid the two races living together upon terms of social and political equality, and inasmuch, as they cannot so live, that while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, that I as much as any other man am in favor of the superior position being assigned to the white man. I say in this connection, that I do not perceive, however, that because the white man is to have the superior position, that it requires that the negro should be denied everything.
Source: The Lincoln-Douglas Debates: The First Complete, Unexpurgated Text, p. 189, Editor Harold Holzer. Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.

I am going out on a limb here by assuming "they" have not debunked this................Yet?

I would Honestly like to read more on the debunking of Henry C. Whitney's Vols.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 313552

@W. Richardson ,

I don't want to hijack @frontrank2 thread, but as I suggested above, google "Lincoln's lost speech" and you will find a site that shows the speech recorded by the author you mention has been debunked.

PM me for further comment.

Unionblue

@W. Richardson ,

I don't want to hijack @frontrank2 thread, but as I suggested above, google "Lincoln's lost speech" and you will find a site that shows the speech recorded by the author you mention has been debunked.

PM me for further comment.

Unionblue

While Whitney's version can and should be questioned, and even with a taste of doubt, the evidence provided, that it has been "debunked" isn't strong enough to come close to it being "debunked" In my opinion.

If nothing more it is a case of he said, he said.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

" I wish you to do nothing merely for revenge, but that what you may do shall be solely done with reference to the security of the future.”– Letter to General William S. Rosecrans, November 19, 1864

" Tell him, when he starts, to put it through – not to be writing or telegraphing back here, but put it through.”– Letter to Secretary of War Simon Cameron, Jun 20, 1861

" Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?”– First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861

“Whatever history remembers of me, if it remembers me at all, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth. For whatever else I am - a husband, a lawyer, a President - I shall always think of myself first and foremost as a hunter.” - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ,(2012), 20th Century Fox Studios

" There is no grievance that is a fit object of redress by mob law.”– Address Before the Young Men’s Lyceum, Springfield, Illinois, January 27, 1838

" Our defense is in the spirit which prized liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism at your own doors.”– Speech at Edwardsville, September 13, 1858

" True democracy makes no inquiry about the color of the skin, or place of nativity, or any other similar circumstance or condition.”– Speech at Cincinnati, May 6, 1842

" Let every American, every lover of liberty, every well wisher to his posterity, swear by the blood of the Revolution, never to violate in the least particular, the laws of the country; and never to tolerate their violation by others.”– Lyceum Address, January 27, 1838

" Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.”– Letter to Isham Reavis, November 5, 1855

Could someone please help me decipher this quote. It was supposedly given by Lincoln at a Temperance Address in 1842. I'm scratching my head over the actual meaning. A friend gave it to me several days ago. I told him other than the many commas in that one sentence it don't even sound like a Lincoln Quote. Here is what he sent me "Happy day, when, all appetites controlled, all poisons subdued, all matter subjected,mind, all conquering mind, shall live and move the monarch of the world. Glorious consummation! Hail fall of Fury! Reign of Reason, all hail! ". Okay, what is the "monarch of the world" ?

Could someone please help me decipher this quote. It was supposedly given by Lincoln at a Temperance Address in 1842. I'm scratching my head over the actual meaning. A friend gave it to me several days ago. I told him other than the many commas in that one sentence it don't even sound like a Lincoln Quote. Here is what he sent me "Happy day, when, all appetites controlled, all poisons subdued, all matter subjected,mind, all conquering mind, shall live and move the monarch of the world. Glorious consummation! Hail fall of Fury! Reign of Reason, all hail! ". Okay, what is the "monarch of the world" ?
After doing a Google search, I found this explanation in the book Crisis of the House Divided: An Interpretation of the Issues in the Lincoln - Douglas Debates by Harry Jaffa
p 270
" the monarch of the world " he is speaking, hyperbole apart, of moral virtue.

After doing a Google search, I found this explanation in the book Crisis of the House Divided: An Interpretation of the Issues in the Lincoln - Douglas Debates by Harry Jaffa
p 270
" the monarch of the world " he is speaking, hyperbole apart, of moral virtue.

Thanks for the effort you put out. I am still puzzled though! Except for the numerous commas it doesn't quite sound like a Lincoln Quote. I feel he was a more simplistic kind of guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
" The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me.”– Speech on the Sub-Treasury in the Illinois House of Representatives, December 26, 1839

" If there is anything which it is the duty of the whole people to never entrust to any hands but their own, that things is the preservation and perpetuity of their own liberties and institutions.”– Speech at Peoria, October 16, 1854

Back