Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

" This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."
ABRAHAM LINCOLN, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861

" Both parties deprecated war; but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and the other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came.”– Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865

" In the untimely loss of your noble son, our affliction here, is scarcely less than your own. So much of promised usefulness to one’s country, and of bright hopes for one’s self and friends, have rarely been so suddenly dashed, as in his fall.”– Letter to Ephraim D. and Phoebe Ellsworth May 25, 1861
Object-at-Hand-Elmer-Ellsworth-clutching-flag-2.jpg

The Death of Col. Elmer E. Ellsworth

" Every man is said to have his peculiar ambition. Whether it be true or not, I can say for one that I have no other so great as that of being truly esteemed of my fellow men, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem. How far I shall succeed in gratifying this ambition, is yet to be developed.”– Address to the People of Sangamon County, March 9, 1832

" A fair examination of history has seemed to authorize a belief that the past action and influences of the United States were generally regarded as having been beneficent towards mankind.”– Letter to the Workingmen of Manchester, England, January 19, 1863

" I am sometimes astonished at the part I am acting in this terrible drama. I can hardly believe that I am the same man I was a few years ago when I was living in my humble way with you in Springfield. I often ask myself the question, ‘When shall I awake and find it all a dream?
Letter to Rev. Noyes W. Miner - April, 1862

" I happen temporarily to occupy this big White House. I am a living witness that any one of your children may look to come here as my father’s child has.”– Speech to One Hundred Sixty-sixth Ohio Regiment, August 22, 1864

"The nation is asking what I will do now that I have been elected President. I'm going to Disneyland"
Lincoln's comments to the Washington Post - November 1860

Last edited:
"The nation is asking what I will do now that I have been elected President. I'm going to Disneyland"
Lincoln's comments to the Washington Post - November 1860
Disneyland? Seriously? :eek: But Disneyland wasn't opened until 1955... And Walt Disney was born in 1901! I'm baffled.

Unless Lincoln meant something different with Disneyland than what it means today? :help:

Back