Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

but nowadays my motto is more like:

was du heute kannst entkorken, das verschiebe nicht auf morgen

41T5Q0iV0WL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

was that somewhere in the bible?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

If you're wondering whether my parents got that from the bible and taught us that motto, I can't answer you that. I've never read the bible; my family is not religious (we're not members of a church). I don't even know if my parents ever read the bible and got that sentence from there.

I've never questioned where my parents picked up that quote. That's why I find it interesting that Lincoln said it - maybe even originates from him (if it's not in the bible).

I think the "original" of that phrase is somewhere in the bible and it became a therfore adopted to a proverb in most any"Christian" language.

the ? was merly rhetoric

There is a similarity between biblical and Mark Twain quotes who are thought to be originals from people who only quoted them.

" Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed. Consequently he who molds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes or pronounces decisions.”– Lincoln-Douglas Debate at Ottawa, August 21, 1858

" In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow-countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The Government will not assail you. You can have no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors. You have no oath registered in heaven to destroy the Government, while I shall have the most solemn one to ‘preserve, protect, and defend it’.”– Lincoln’s First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861

Abraham_lincoln_inauguration_1861-1038x576.jpeg

" I wish you to do nothing merely for revenge, but that what you may do shall be solely done with reference to the security of the future.”– Letter to General William S. Rosecrans, November 19, 1864

" Broken eggs cannot be mended; but Louisiana has nothing to do now but take her place in the Union as it was, barring the already broken eggs.”– Letter to August Belmont, July 31, 1862

" Most governments have been based, practically, on the denial of equal rights of men … ours began, by affirming those rights. They said, some men are too ignorant, and vicious, to share in government. Possibly so, said we; and, by your system, you would always keep them ignorant, and vicious. We proposed to give all a chance; and we expected the weak to grow stronger, the ignorant wiser; and all better, and happier together.”– Fragment on Slavery, circa July 1854

"If all earthly power were given me, I should not know what to do, as to the existing institution (slavery). My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia, - to their own native land. But a moment's reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope, there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible."---
Speech by Lincoln in Peoria, IL on Oct. 16, 1854

Back