Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

Understanding the spirit of our institutions to aim at the elevation of men, I am opposed to whatever tends to degrade them.
  • Letter to Dr. Theodore Canisius (17 May 1859)

" We hope all danger may be overcome; but to conclude that no danger may ever arise would itself be extremely dangerous." Lyceum Address - Jan. 27, 1838

There have been men who have proposed to me to return to slavery the black warriors of Port Hudson and Olustee to their masters to conciliate the South. I should be damned in time and in eternity for so doing. The world shall know that I will keep my faith to friends and enemies, come what will.
Interview with Governor Alexander W. Randall & Joseph T. Mills 8/19/1864

Port_Hudson_Native_Guard.gif

" The true rule, in determining to embrace, or reject any thing, is not whether it have any evil in it; but whether it have more of evil, than of good."

Speech in the House of Representatives - 6/20/1848

While man exists, it is his duty to improve not only his own condition, but to assist in ameliorating mankind; and therefore, without entering upon the details of the question, I will simply say, that I am for those means which will give the greatest good to the greatest number.

speech to German Community in Cincinnati, 2/12/1861

" The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation, because she never cackles until the egg is laid."
Response to General Joseph Hooker after he stated that he had built the "finest army on the planet" and he hoped that God would have mercy on Bobby Lee because he, Joe Hooker, would have none.

joseph-hooker-1814-1879-major-general-everett.jpg

" These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel."
speech to Illinois Legislature ( January, 1837 )

" Whenever I appear before a body of soldiers, I feel tempted to talk to them of the nature of the struggle in which we are engaged. I look upon it as an attempt on the one hand to overwhelm and destroy the national existence, while, on our part, we are striving to maintain the government and institutions of our fathers, to enjoy them ourselves, and transmit them to our children and our children's children forever. "
speech to the 148th Ohio Infantry - Aug 31, 1864

" The true rule, in determining to embrace, or reject anything, is not whether it have any evil in it; but whether it have more of evil than of good."
Speech in the House of Representatives - June 20, 1848

"'Now, gentlemen, I will tell you, what it is; I have thousands of applications like this every day, but we cannot satisfy all for this reason, that these positions are like office seekers--there are too many pigs for the teats.'

"The ladies who were listening to the conversation placed their handkerchiefs to their faces and turned away. But the joke of 'Old Abe' put us all in a good humor. We then left the presence of the greatest and most just man who ever lived to fill the Presidential chair.'"

(from Lincoln's Yarns and Stories , by Colonel Alexander K. McClure)

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel.

speech to the Illinois Legislature - January, 1837

" I have now come to the conclusion never again to think of marrying, and for this reason; I can never be satisfied with anyone who would be blockhead enough to have me."
Letter to Mrs. Orville H. Browning - April 1, 1838

Back