Lincoln Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

" Let every man remember that to violate the law is to trample on the blood of his father, and to tear the charter of his own and his children’s liberty.”– Lyceum Address, January 27, 1837

" Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.”– Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863

getty_lincoln_gettysburg-482796691-56af98c25f9b58b7d01ae634.jpg

" The Autocrat of all the Russians will resign his crown, and proclaim his subjects free republicans sooner than will our American masters voluntarily give up their slaves.”– Letter to George Robertson, August 15, 1855

"I hold the value of life is to improve one's condition. Whatever is calculated to advance the condition of the honest, struggling laboring man, so far as my judgment will enable me to judge of a correct thing, I am for that thing."

Lincoln, February 12, 1861

"I can never forget, whilst I remember anything, that about the end of last year and the beginning of this, you gave us a hard earned victory, which , had there been a defeat instead, the nation could scarcely have lived over."

Lincoln's tribute to General Rosecrans after his strategic success over the Army of Tennessee at the Battle of Stones River, December 1862.

"I can never forget, whilst I remember anything, that about the end of last year and the beginning of this, you gave us a hard earned victory, which , had there been a defeat instead, the nation could scarcely have lived over."

Lincoln's tribute to General Rosecrans after his strategic success over the Army of Tennessee at the Battle of Stones River, December 1862.

Lincoln actually sent that to Rosecrans in August of 1863 - after Gettysburg and Vicksburg -which to me is more proof of how important Stones River was to Lincoln.

" I am greatly obliged to you, and to all who have come forward at the call of their country.”– Speech to the One Hundred Sixty-fourth Ohio Regiment, August 22, 1864

" Peace does not appear so distant as it did. I hope it will come soon, and come to stay; and so come as to be worth the keeping in all future time.”– Letter to James Conkling, August 26, 1863

" A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure permanently half-slave and half-free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved – I do not expect the house to fall – but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other.”– ‘House-Divided’ Speech in Springfield, Illinois, June 16, 1858

house-divided.jpg

" I have found that when one is embarrassed, usually the shortest way to get through with it is to quit talking or thinking about it, and go at something else.”– Speech at Cincinnati, Ohio, September 17, 1859

" It has long been a grave question whether any government, not too strong for the liberties of its people, can be strong enough to maintain its own existence, in great emergencies.”– Response to a Serenade, November 10, 1864

Back