Ami's SOA Lincoln Quote of the Day

"With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in,; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan - to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
What I did, I did after very full deliberation, and under a heavy and solemn sense of responsibility. I can only trust in God that I have made no mistake.
Sept. 24, 1862 Reply to Serenade in Honor of [Preliminary] Emancipation Proclamation

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.
--July 10, 1858 Speech at Chicago

Lincoln may have been one of the funniest presidents.
I don't have an exact quote, but I believe in 1862 when he was told that some campaign had failed because the locks on a river were not wide enough to accommodate the necessary vessels, he said the campaign had "died of lockjaw".
(rim shot)
That's pretty good.
Source: somewhere in Shelby's narrative

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The restoration of the Rebel States to the Union must rest upon the principle of civil and political equality of both races; and it must be sealed by general amnesty.
--January 1864, Letter to James S. Wadsworth
frontrank2,

Based on the above quote, I REALLY wish Lincoln would have survived after April, 1865.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
"I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals."
  • Statement attributed to Abraham Lincoln in response to complaints about Grant's drinking habits (November 1863); as quoted in Wit and Wisdom of the American Presidents: A Book of Quotations (2000) by Joslyn T. Pine, p. 26.
“I have just read your dispatch about sore tongued and fatigued horses. Will you pardon me for asking what the horses of your army have done since the battle of Antietam that fatigue anything?”
  • Telegram to McClellan dated October 25, 1862 sent after McClellan partially attributed the army's failure to pursue Lee to the condition of his cavalry.
"I have not permitted myself, gentlemen, to conclude that I am the best man in the country; but I am reminded in this connection of a story of an old Dutch farmer, who remarked to a companion once that it was not best to swap horses when crossing a stream."
  • Reponse to National Union Convention dated June 9, 1864 after receiving word they had nominated him as the party's candidate for president in the upcoming election.
"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
  • Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865.

godofredus

Sergeant Major
"I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals."
  • Statement attributed to Abraham Lincoln in response to complaints about Grant's drinking habits (November 1863); as quoted in Wit and Wisdom of the American Presidents: A Book of Quotations (2000) by Joslyn T. Pine, p. 26.
“I have just read your dispatch about sore tongued and fatigued horses. Will you pardon me for asking what the horses of your army have done since the battle of Antietam that fatigue anything?”
  • Telegram to McClellan dated October 25, 1862 sent after McClellan partially attributed the army's failure to pursue Lee to the condition of his cavalry.
"I have not permitted myself, gentlemen, to conclude that I am the best man in the country; but I am reminded in this connection of a story of an old Dutch farmer, who remarked to a companion once that it was not best to swap horses when crossing a stream."
  • Reponse to National Union Convention dated June 9, 1864 after receiving word they had nominated him as the party's candidate for president in the upcoming election.
"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
  • Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865.
The words just before "with malice" are:

Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

"mild recontructionists" often point to the concluding words of Lincoln's second ignaugral to show he would be easy on the ex-Confeds. I don't know of any one who points to the words "unrequited toil" as hinting he would be in favor of reparations at most or even "forty acres and a mule..."

IMHO the "every drop" phrase shows Lincoln as strongly against the black codes, probably against the state legislatures that devised them.

Last edited:

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." --President Abraham Lincoln

That would probably still apply even today. :x3:

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I am exceedingly anxious that this Union, the Constitution, and the liberties of the people shall be perpetuated in accordance with the original idea for which that struggle was made, and I shall be most happy indeed if I shall be an humble instrument in the hands of the Almighty, and of this, his almost chosen people, for perpetuating the object of that great struggle.
--February 21, 1861 Speech to the New Jersey Senate

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
"Bring me Longstreet's head on a platter and the war will be over."
--President Abraham Lincoln.
I'm curious when he said that - Longstreet was one of the top Confederate generals, but I don't see him as the one whose demise at any moment would end the war. Lee maybe, although it's a crude way to phrase it.

I'm curious when he said that - Longstreet was one of the top Confederate generals, but I don't see him as the one whose demise at any moment would end the war. Lee maybe, although it's a crude way to phrase it.
"Supposedly Lincoln said it after the Battle of Antietam. Shortly before the Wildernss he also said that best thing to happen for the Union would be Longstreet's death."

http://www.longstreetsociety.org/Longstreet_Quotes.html

I was curious also, but I couldn't find a date. I found the same quote on other sites, but none had a date.
The site below is a magazine thaat quoted it, but again...guess if it's said often enough its true:-(

http://www.countylinemagazine.net/1193693404/files/inc/1193693404.pdf
page 24

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
When the white man governs himself, that is self-government; but when he governs himself and also governs another man, that is more than self-government – that is despotism.”- Speech at Peoria, October 16, 1854

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!