Lincoln on Postage Stamps

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Great looking stamps. I'm guessing that beside Lincoln, the other American president most honored by foreign postage stamps is JFK.
That's right ... followed by FDR and George Washington (the latter mainly at the time of the Revolutionary War bicentennial).
Unnamed image.png
Actually, I think Mickey, Donald and Goofy are probably the most frequently honored Americans on foreign stamps!
s-l1600 (5) - Edited (1).jpg

Last edited:

KansasFreestater

1st Lieutenant
What a MAGNIFICENT idea for a thread!!

Thank you! Seeing all those stamps from different countries reminds me of Tolstoy's idea that Lincoln was not just the greatest American ever, but one of the greatest human beings ever, a treasure for all humanity to cherish as its own.

"The greatness of Napoleon, Caesar or Washington is only moonlight by the sun of Lincoln. His example is universal and will last thousands of years. Washington was a typical American, Napoleon was a typical Frenchman, but Lincoln was a humanitarian as broad as the world. He was bigger than his country -- bigger than all the Presidents together."​

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I thought I'd bump this thread to mention that the American Philatelic Society has a free postage stamp album, "A Bicentennial Tribute to Abraham Lincoln on U. S. Postage Stamps." The album is in full color, with each stamp illustrated, and can be downloaded and printed out. The quality is first rate, and the explanatory text highly educational. Due to the format and full illustrations, it can be enjoyed even without the stamps themselves.

This is only one of many free American History stamp albums available from APS.

Attachments

• Lincoln.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 49