Lincoln Intercedes in the West

Henry

Cadet
I've been researching the XIII inch bore Seacoast Mortar model of 1861 for over five years now. The facts have taken me down some strange roads.

President Lincoln, concerned about the increasing number of complaints from Union men regarding General Fremont, decided to send Postmaster-General Montgomery Blair and Quarter Master General Montgomery C. Meigs to investigate matters and counsel Fremont. The two men, with Maj. Gen. David Hunter added at the President's request, arrived in St. Louis at midnight on September 12. The official reason for the visit to St. Louis was given as an examination of the overland mail, though reports in the press stated that the Government was concerned about contract irregularities, as well as Fremont's poor performance.And, after his suspension, on the 14th of October, 1861, the Secretary, by a like order, appointed a board of commissioners to examine the Quartermaster Department; "to examine and report, to the Secretary of War, upon all unsettled claims against the military department of the West, that had originated prior to the 14th of October, 1861, the day General Fremont had been superseded." Quartermaster General Justus Mckinstry still maintained his postion as area Provost Marshall after being relieved of the Quartermaster General portion of his responsibilities at this time.

I haven't researched what events transpired regarding McKinstry's Provost Marshall tenure, though any case that transpired under his tenure must have been fair game for review and dismissal.

Back