Lincoln Lincoln In the Illinois Legislature

LincolnAbraham

Private
Seems that Abraham Lincoln's accomplishments in the Illinois legislature are often overshadowed by his accomplishments as president. It's only natural, but I think his work in Illinois is definitely praiseworthy. He was able to improve infrastructure and was instrumental in having the capital moved from Vandalia to Springfield: https://lincolnabraham.com/young-abraham-lincoln/

I think the amazing thing is; he went to the state legislature as business man and realized he did not have to skills so he went and studied law and became a lawyer...

I think the amazing thing is; he went to the state legislature as business man and realized he did not have to skills so he went and studied law and became a lawyer...

Exactly. Even more amazing was the process he went through to become a lawyer, as there were few/no law schools back then, depending on who you speak to. As I understand it, after studying law on his own, he needed to get two Supreme Court judges to support his application for a law license. And they could only do it, if he got a certificate of "good moral character" from a circuit court judge.

Back