Lincoln Homestead State Park

NFB22

Sergeant Major
On a recent trip to Perryville I made a small detour to the Lincoln Homestead State Park located near Springfield, Kentucky. This area is where Abraham Lincoln's father, mother, grandmother and others lived prior to his birth in 1809.

IMG_0781.JPG

There is one original structure on the site, the Berry House, which was relocated from it's original location about a mile away. Nancy Hanks, Abraham Lincoln's mother, lived in the Berry House with her cousin Francis Berry when Thomas Lincoln began courting her and is said to have proposed in the home.

IMG_0783.JPG

The site also features a replica cabin of the home Thomas Lincoln grew up in after his father was killed in an Indian attack in 1786. His father is buried nearby but the exact location is not known. Thomas was saved by his brother, Mordecai, during the attack (the Mordecai Lincoln house is located nearby but is currently being renovated so I could not stop and get any good photos). The reconstructed cabin is built on the original site and features original furnishings built by Thomas Lincoln.

IMG_0776.JPG

The Nancy Hanks Memorial on the site was dedicated in 1935 on the anniversary of Thomas & Nancy's wedding. Nancy Hanks Lincoln's actual gravesite is located in a small cemetery located within the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial in Lincoln City, Indiana.

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

Lincoln Homestead State Park
5079 Lincoln Park Rd, Springfield, KY 40069

This is only about 5 minutes from my house... lots of cool info there... also the old courthouse downtown is now a lincoln history museum

This is only about 5 minutes from my house... lots of cool info there... also the old courthouse downtown is now a lincoln history museum

I've never explored downtown. I did stop by Mary Todd Lincoln's home in Lexington during a visit to Keeneland last year where she lived prior to moving to Illinois.

Reactions: Hag
Back