Lincoln Lincoln Books...........

is Manhunt 12 days chasing Lincoln's Killer by John Swanson one of the top books covering his assassination detail to detail up to catching Booth?

An interesting book about Lincoln is Mr. Lincoln Goes to War by William Marvel which examines the first year of the Civil War. The author, William Marvel, is a past winner of the Lincoln Prize. Another good book is Abraham Lincoln: The Man Behind the Myths by Stephen B. Oates. This book explores some of the misconceptions about Lincoln in order to present a more human side of the man.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned Sidney Blumenthal's massive Political Life of Abraham Lincoln three volumes so far out of five total. Less about Lincoln per se but massively detailed and fascinating about the political times in which Lincoln moved. First volume John Calhoun dominates.

Last edited:
I read all of Sandburg in High School. Later on when I went back to reread some of the War Years, I found his content a bit too anecdotal (?). One book I did enjoy was T. Harry Williams', Lincoln, And His Generals.
Lubliner.

Back