Lincoln Lincoln autopsy reports and posthumous pictures

Somehow this thread seems to have not found appropriate attention ... I just saw it and started reading and I can recommend it, therefore I'll bump it.

I followed the link to the Lincoln autopsy and found some interesting photos and this report of the surgeon who performed the autopsy:

Surgeon General's Office
Washington City, D.C.
April 15th, 1865

Brigadier General J. K. Barnes
Surgeon General U.S.A.

General:

I have the honor to report that in obedience to your orders and aided by Assistant Surgeon E. Curtis, U.S.A., I made in your presence at 12 o'clock this morning an autopsy on the body of President Abraham Lincoln, with the following results.

“The eyelids and surrounding parts of the face were greatly ecchymosed and the eyes somewhat protuberant from effusion of blood into the orbits.

There was a gunshot wound of the head around which the scalp was greatly thickened by hemorrhage into its tissues. The ball entered through the occipital bone about one inch to the left of the median line and just above the left lateral sinus, which it opened. It then penetrated the dura mater, passed through the left posterior lobe of the cerebrum, entered the left lateral ventricle and lodged in the white matter of the cerebrum just above the anterior portion of the left corpus striatum, where it was found.

The wounds in the occipital bone was quite smooth, circular in shape, with beveled edges. The opening through the internal table being larger than that through the external table. The track of the ball was full of clotted blood and contained several little fragments of bone with a small piece of the ball near its external orifice. The brain around the track was pultaceous and livid from capillary hemorrhage into its substance. The ventricles of the brain were full of clotted blood. A thick clot beneath the dura mater coated the right cerebral lobe.

There was a smaller clot under the dura mater of the left side. But little blood was found at the base of the brain. Both the orbital plates of the frontal bone were fractured and the fragments pushed upwards towards the brain. The dura mater over these fractures was uninjured. The orbits were gorged with blood.

I have the honor of being very respectfully
Your obedient servant.
E. J. J. Woodward
Assistant Surgeon U.S.A.

*******************************************************************************************************
This is the bullet that killed Lincoln:
upload_2017-5-8_17-35-54.png

http://www.medicalmuseum.mil/index.cfm?p=exhibits.current.collection_that_teaches.lincoln.page_03

This image on some of those pages:

84b2d0e98de4e499df316b63f540d500.jpg

is not Lincoln -- it's a digital recreation made several years ago for a documentary. It's very well done, but not real.

Back