Lincoln and slavery split from Compromise and Peace: The Road Not Taken

How many CW books mention, for instance, Lincoln's refusal to pardon William Walker, a black soldier executed for mutiny for leading a protest over the unequal pay and treatment that black soldiers were receiving?

Here's one off the top of my head:

"Moncure Conway, residing in England, continued his attacks on Lincoln, arguing that the president should be denied reelection because a black sergeant, William Walker, had been executed for inciting mutiny. (In fact, Walker's death sentence had been carried out illegally, before his case was submitted to the president for review. If the army had followed proper procedures, it is unlikely that Walker would have been shot.) Conway termed the 'imbecile President' a 'murderer,' an 'irredeemable Kentuckian,' and 'an impossible American' who suffered from 'an utter lack of culture' and was 'brutally ignorant of history and of his own age.'30"
Abraham Lincoln: A Life, Volume Two, pg. 686, Michael Burlingame

I will look a little bit later in some of my other books for more references to Walker.

edited - corrected the wording of my ending comment

Last edited:

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
Mike Griffith said:
How many CW books mention, for instance, Lincoln's refusal to pardon William Walker, a black soldier executed for mutiny for leading a protest over the unequal pay and treatment that black soldiers were receiving?

Here's one off the top of my head:

It's nice of people to chase down @Mike Griffith 's diversion query from my question, but I would still like an answer:

You make an assertion that is presented with the assurance of someone who has experienced the inequity first hand, thus, ready at the helm to provide examples. Since you are well ahead of me in your reading , I was hoping for examples of "the over-generous, misleading portrayals of them in most modern Civil War books" so that I might perhaps want to avoid these offending books in the future.