Lincoln and Colonization: Policy or Propaganda?

Whatever the numbers are? It don’t change the fact it was Lincoln’s policy. It doesn’t change the Fact he tried to compel them to leave, Free Blacks in the North.

This same Black Population that were prime candidates for Colonization, the ones Britain in particular wanted for Prime Field Hands were the same ones Stanton wanted for the replacements of Racist Northern Voters, in the Military. So this is where some of them went. Also during the War, Blacks were not allowed passes to go North. The Radicals made the determination that Blacks would be the bases for the SOUTH’S labor force, and thought they should remain, in the South. Untenable they should go North.

Lincoln chanced down several schemes. With several different countries. Until late in 64. The Ben Butler letter, Butler says Lincoln discussion Colonization with him, early 65.

I’ve posted this stuff before. If you are that short on memory, maybe you should study it. You might remember it that way.

You said that after Lincoln's meeting with free blacks in 1862, "...many Free Blacks... self Deported." I am not a scholar on the subject but in the reading I've done, I've seen nothing to indicate this is true. Lacking evidence, I believe this claim is unfounded.

You say Lincoln "tried to compel them to leave." Talking to a small group of black men in Washington DC is not equal to "compulsion." Question: how many people in even that meeting with Lincoln actually left the country? One? None? Any?

You say, "It don’t change the fact it was Lincoln’s policy." But just because a policy has been announced, that doesn't mean it is at all effective. Yes, Lincoln had a colonization policy. But according to this source, only 500 people actually went to any colony, and there is no indication they were compelled.

As I said in a previous post: when we talk about colonization, we have to ask the Big Question: exactly how many people were actually colonized while Lincoln was president? The fact is, there was no mobilization of the resources, or even the creation of rudimentary plans, that would accomplish the gargantuan feat of moving millions of African Americans out of the country. In essence, Lincoln's colonization policy amounted to trial balloons and funding for test cases. There was no substantial colonization policy as such. Recollect, the US had a war to fight.

And if all of these black folks were leaving the country, where was the US getting all these black folks who joined the army and navy? Did they all join the armed forces with the idea they were going to leave the US once the war was over? That doesn't make sense.

Again, your claim that after Lincoln's meeting with free blacks in 1862, "...many Free Blacks... self Deported" seems unfounded. But if you can provide me with some proof of these "many" people, I will look it over with an open mind.

- Alan

" My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,-to their own native land. - Abraham Lincoln

Edited

In context:
"When southern people tell us they are no more responsible for the origin of slavery, than we; I acknowledge the fact. When it is said that the institution exists; and that it is very difficult to get rid of it, in any satisfactory way, I can understand and appreciate the saying. I surely will not blame them for not doing what I should not know how to do myself. If all earthly power were given me, I should not know what to do, as to the existing institution. My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,–to their own native land. But a moment’s reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope, (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible.”
Abraham Lincoln, October 16, 1854 Peoria, Illinois speech about the Kansas-Nebraska Act

Last edited:
In context:
"When southern people tell us they are no more responsible for the origin of slavery, than we; I acknowledge the fact. When it is said that the institution exists; and that it is very difficult to get rid of it, in any satisfactory way, I can understand and appreciate the saying. I surely will not blame them for not doing what I should not know how to do myself. If all earthly power were given me, I should not know what to do, as to the existing institution. My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,–to their own native land. But a moment’s reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope, (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible.”
Abraham Lincoln, October 16, 1854 Peoria, Illinois speech about the Kansas-Nebraska Act
The sad thing is that history proved Lincoln right. It took another 100 years before blacks were truly equal in our country. Though I think Jim Crow was much better than slavery it was still horrible.

Though I think colonization was the wrong answer, because blacks were just as much Americans as everyone else, I wonder how Lincoln would have handled the resistance by the former rebels against black political/social equality.

Does anyone know if anyone at the time had proposed giving blacks their own state?

Here is an article that appeared in the Root About Lincoln’s meeeting at the White House and Lincoln’s Colonization attempts:

There was a temporary ban in Oregon which had quite a few white Southeners.
Leftyhunter
Actually, it remained in their Constitution till the 1920s.

"Oregon which had quite a few white Southeners."

Oregon had a population of 52,465 in 1860. Of that number only 2,682 (5%) were from the states that became the CSA.
(Source: 1860 Census)

Last edited:
Well gee, I don't know. So let's think about it. Did the people "held to service" in Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, Missouri, West Virginia, and New Jersey sign a voluntary labor agreement? Did they agree that their families could be separated at will? Did they agree that their woman folk could be play things for their employees on a whim?

Any examples of a labor contract covering the above? If slavery was so benign then how come white people in Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, and New Jersey weren't enslaved. And what about the Africans in the New England slave-ships? Did they all sign agreements to be thrown into the disgusting bowels of slaves ships?
No one said the slave owners in the above States were nic people but then again I never used the term " held to service". Also more people in the above States fought to end slavery then to perpetuate it.
So please define this term " held to service" and why
it was such a wonderful concept?
Leftyhunter

Oregon had a population of 52,465 in 1860. Of that number only 2,682 (5%) were from the states that became the CSA.
I imagine that number increased quite a bit during Reconstruction.
Leftyhunter

I had pointed that out previously (I live in Oregon) but my post got deleted.

No one said the slave owners in the above States were nic people but then again I never used the term " held to service". Also more people in the above States fought to end slavery then to perpetuate it.
So please define this term " held to service" and why
it was such a wonderful concept?
Leftyhunter
I imagine that number increased quite a bit during Reconstruction.
Leftyhunter

Yes, many southerners moved here after the war but very few were non-white. Reconstruction policies weren't generally popular in Oregon and the state didn't initially ratify the 13th. (but did so only after it was already ratified).

Back