Limber box/ ammo crates

Jeremy stake

Private
May be stupid question? I assume a mortar wagon would bevequipoed with a limber box the same appearance and decisions as regular field party limber boxes? Secondly how would the black ammo crates be labeled/ stenciled?

Good Question the box would have white letters i wiuld think and as to the limber I don' know

May be stupid question? I assume a mortar wagon would bevequipoed with a limber box the same appearance and decisions as regular field party limber boxes? Secondly how would the black ammo crates be labeled/ stenciled?
They would not be the same as a field piece and would depend of the size of the mortar

They would not be the same as a field piece and would depend of the size of the mortar
Please elaborate- period source reference please- don't want opinions. Only siege mortars of the 8" and 10" variety would be on a mortar wagon.seacoast were on ships or railcars. I have trouble believing a different style limber box would be used but hey...if you got documentation?

Screenshot_20171112-194430.png

It is documented in the artillery manual 3 -8" siege mortars could be transported on a mortar wagon; or one 10". Now again the limber box that also rode on this wagon along with the mortar would differ in what way if any from a normal artillery limber box?

I will download heavy artillery manual when I'm home.my guess is it will have just one description of a heavy artillery limber box.that would be used on any and all of the heavy guns. I ran on to Craig swains blog to the sound of The guns which he states limber are the same....so my guess is limber boxes are too?

Screenshot_2019-05-15-13-42-06.png

Screenshot_2019-05-15-13-41-57.png

It is documented in the artillery manual 3 -8" siege mortars could be transported on a mortar wagon; or one 10". Now again the limber box that also rode on this wagon along with the mortar would differ in what way if any from a normal artillery limber box?
Due to the fact that the US Army considered the 8 & 10 inch mortar were "Heavy" artillery they would be different than the field guns limber chest due to weight and size of ammo.

Evidently no ammo chests but here is an 8- inch mortar shell naval crate.maybe since I shoot an 8-inch mortar I need to replicate this arsenal box.should be same type box for garrison or trench placed mortar as for one that would have been on a mortar schooner?
Screenshot_2019-05-15-21-44-03.png
Screenshot_2019-05-15-21-44-09.png
Screenshot_2019-05-15-21-41-18.png

In reviewing the n.s.s.a. spring mortar shoot 2015 YouTube video uploaded by cannonman( which is arguably the best siege mortar firing video out there). A siege mortar crew there is - mistakenly? Using a limber box? Also taken from this video is black ammo crates which is correct color code crate for shell

Screenshot_2019-05-15-22-22-42.png

Screenshot_2019-05-15-22-20-37.png

Screenshot_2019-05-15-22-20-37.png

Screenshot_2019-05-15-22-20-12.png

Back