Lima Beans

Ok, lima bean haters - I strongly suspect you will like this recipe! I made it once at a dinner party and it was a hit. Three weeks later, one of my friends called me to complain that his wife became so enamored of this that she'd been making it every other day and he was tired of it. :biggrin:

Lima Bean Puree (courtesy of Bon Appetit)

INGREDIENTS
  • 6 cups water
  • 3 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
  • 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
My only adjustment is to use chicken broth instead of water for simmering the beans.
Directions on the web link below - enjoy!!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lima-bean-puree-231891

Lima Beans were mentioned, so thought bring this thread up . We love lima beans in this family.

Sad to say, my husband won't eat lima beans, so I never make them, although I love them. One of my favorite restaurants in Gettysburg had them on the menu for many years, and I'd order them there. But now the restaurant has revised its menu, and lima beans are gone. So maybe the great-sounding recipes in this thread will inspire me to make a batch for myself and stick them in the freezer to enjoy whenever I want them. Thanks for the inspiration! :hungry:

I know several of you hate Lima Beans but like bacon. Try this recipe:

"Special Lima Beans"

4 slices of bacon
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
1 inch sprig fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 quart fresh or frozen lima beans
1/4 cup grated cheese

Fry bacon in a small skillet. Remove when crisp and drain on paper towel. Put the bacon fat, water, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan with a lid and bring to a boil. Simmer one minute. Add the lima beans. Cover and cook on medium heat approximately 6 minutes. if fresh, 5 minutes if frozen, until tender. Do not overcook. Serve in heated dish, topped with the grated cheese.

Sounds just like my mother-in-law's recipe except she would use a ham hock instead of bacon.

I enjoy a pot of Butter beans!, using the dry lima beans. Put a bag of dry lima beans in a big boiler and let them soak over night, the next morning, change the water then put it on the stove to cook.. A choice of either ham pieces or bacon and let it boil until the beans are tender. Meanwhile, make a batch of skillet cornbread. Bake until golden brown. Fry up some Pork chops. When it is all done, Call me to dine!

I have a poem that I know you would enjoy. It will make you taste buds go crazy!

A Southern meal

Cornbread and Butterbeans,
Fatback and turnip greens.
Seasoned well to suit your taste
Eat 'em up before they go to waste.

Red-eye gravy and a cured ham steak,
Eat enough to choke a snake.
Buttermilk biscuits and fig preserves,
It the best meal that's ever been served.

A platter of tripe and some chittlins,
It's a ticket to make Grandpa grin.
Corn Dodgers and some buttermilk,
It goes down as smooth as silk.

Mama's ham hocks and black-eyed peas,
It's an item that is sure to please.
Southern fried chicken and mashed taters,
Let me say, "There ain't nothing Greater!"

So, if your stomach is growlin',
And you're down in the mouth.
It's a shame to go hungry,
When you go down south!

Toothman

Copyright: Nov. 1997

we must be getting old I happen to love lima beans. But I can't get anyone in my family to eat them. So needless to say I don't eat them anymore. I was thinking the other day how many different vegetables I ate as a child nowadays my family looks at me when I asked for sweet potatoes if it's not peace or:corn and mashed potatoes plain mashed potatoes they believe it's from another planet forget mashed carrots. Well thank you I will remember another food group I don't see anymore as they used to say. More's the pity

Thought bump thread on lima beans as has information and recipe for succotash.
I could be lima beans biggest fan,have always loved them,butter beans also.my kids used to feed them to the dogs to make me believe they were eating them.they still will not eat limas to this day.

A tasty Lima Bean recipe from "Old Time Recipes To Enjoy, Kentucky Explorer Magazine.

Curried Lima Beans

Chop one onion finely and fry it for a few minutes in two tablespoons of butter, add one tablespoon of curry powder, one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of flour, one teaspoon of lemon juice, and one cup of water. Allow to cook slowly for 20 minutes, then add one and one half cups of cooked lima beans. Mix well and serve hot.

Back