Like my username says

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

GS

Retired User
Welcome, Joe, :wavespin: from Alabama! Silence (mental blocking and denial) were common in the South. People had to survive day to day, and move on.

I was literally stunned, shocked out of my brogans as it were, when researching for my family story, later recorded in my book (see signature below). It was a life-changing moment, when I learned the extent of cruelty, devastation to the countryside in north Alabama, entrapment of families by two armies, and starvation. The only hints I'd ever heard from my grandfather's mouth was, "I found a cannonball in my field," and he would sing a song inspired by soldiers in retreat from the deadly Nashville fiasco which was orchestrated by General Hood. His grandfather was one of those survivors, and his father was a young lad (Little John in my book) during the War.

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Hello from New Hampshire and please visit the Soldier's Tales Forum. You have a lot of ancestors that deserve respect and recognition.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! That's quite a heritage, one to be proud of. Don't be "silent": join in our discussions. I look forward to your perspective. Enjoy!

Will Carry

Sergeant
I was born in Rockdale County Georgia but my parents were from LA (Lower Alabamer). This forum is thick with Yankees but since I'm married to one, I don't mind at all. My wife is a New York Yankee. A real one. When she saw how masculine and charming us Southerners were she jumped the broom.

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I was born in Rockdale County Georgia but my parents were from LA (Lower Alabamer). This forum is thick with Yankees but since I'm married to one, I don't mind at all. My wife is a New York Yankee. A real one. When she saw how masculine and charming us Southerners were she jumped the broom.
:smile: