like a duck hit on the head

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
"like a duck hit on the head" One of President Abraham Lincoln's favorite expressions to describe someone who was baffled or dumbfounded. After Union Major General William S. Rosecrans was defeated at Chickamauga on September 20, 1863, Lincoln complained that his general was acting "confused and stunned, like a duck hit on the head".

From "The Language of the Civil War" p. 177

"like a duck hit on the head" One of President Abraham Lincoln's favorite expressions to describe someone who was baffled or dumbfounded. After Union Major General William S. Rosecrans was defeated at Chickamauga on September 20, 1863, Lincoln complained that his general was acting "confused and stunned, like a duck hit on the head".

From "The Language of the Civil War" p. 177

That's funny. I've got to get that book... :smile:

It is a great book. I have learned so much from it and then research more on what he writes.

I really like the Lincoln sayings he has put in book. Lincoln had a great way of putting things.

I laughed, too - we used to hunt ducks with rocks. Smacked in the head, they would just sit there exactly like Lincoln said and let you come pick them up! (Wonder if he hunted any that way?)

Back