Lieutenant Tresilian, engineer: wooden mortars & cotton-bale bridges. Who was this man??

We all win when answers are crowd-sourced.

Reading what you've presented so far, I see the lingering question(s) to be "how and why was Tresilian promoted to Captain, and why was his last term of service as a Private?"

If Sattter's book doesn't shed light on this, 1) I think the dude is still alive and 2) data-mine FOLD3 as I suggested above.
You think Satter might be alive? The book was published in 1947. Assuming he was 30 in 1947, he'd be 104 now, so... probably not. Of course if this was a Masters or PhD he could have been younger, in his 20's, making him late 90's...

Hahaha!!! Rabbit Hole indeed. Hmmm... and one that you pay to fall into. Perhaps I will just take what my crowd has found for me and then use my author's license. That is one of the glories of historical FICTION: when you find a big blank space, embelish!

You think Satter might be alive? The book was published in 1947. Assuming he was 30 in 1947, he'd be 104 now, so... probably not. Of course if this was a Masters or PhD he could have been younger, in his 20's, making him late 90's...

Scroll back, citation says his book was published in Canada in 2019.

TitleDocumentation of S. R. Tresilian's Life in America, Monroe Co., IL to Hoboken, NJ: Union Civil War Engineer, and Later, Fenian Leader
Compiled byGeoffrey Lowell Satter
PublisherGeoffrey Satter, 2019
Length177 pages

Hahaha!!! Rabbit Hole indeed. Hmmm... and one that you pay to fall into. Perhaps I will just take what my crowd has found for me and then use my author's license. That is one of the glories of historical FICTION: when you find a big blank space, embelish!

So I get an honorable mention for the assists when you're finished, right?

TitleDocumentation of S. R. Tresilian's Life in America, Monroe Co., IL to Hoboken, NJ: Union Civil War Engineer, and Later, Fenian Leader
Length177 pages
Ak, foolish! Satter was BORN in 1947, published in 2019. Ok, I'm on the hunt for Satter.

Length177 pages
I found Satter's address and just popped a note in the mail to him. He has written several other books about delightlfully obscure topics (love these kind of books!) http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n92012170/. I may get a copy of this book yet!

Yeah, bunging up the name dosen't help, does it?
He is repeatedly referred to as "Private" in these records, but I was under the impression that he was elevated to lieutenant, and even captain. Would this be just his entering rank?
Just to let you know the excellent news, the reference librarian at the Lincoln Presidental Library has sent me some very useful pages out of Mr. Satter's book on Tresilian, which pretty much cover what I need! I am still awaiting word from the author as to purchasing a copy of his book, which I would still like to do, but in the meantime I can get to work with what I have. Thought you might appreciate the update. Thanks for all your help!

...and that's the 3rd IL Cav (Consolidated)

August 24 (1864) the Veterans were consolidated into six companies and Captain Carnahan promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.
https://civilwar.illinoisgenweb.org/history/c03cav.html

Search Criteria: 3 IL US CAV CON

Name
TRESILLIAN, STEWART R
Rank
PVT
Company

Unit
3 IL US CAV CON

Personal Characteristics​

Residence
ELM GROVE, TAZEWELL CO, IL
Height
5' 9 1/2
Hair
LIGHT
Eyes
BLUE
Complexion
FLORID
Marital Status

Occupation
ENGINEER
Nativity
IRELAND

Service Record​

Joined When
FEB 24, 1865
Joined Where
SPRINGFIELD, IL
Joined By Whom
CPT KEYS
Period
1 YR
Muster In
FEB 24, 1865
Muster In Where
SPRINGFIELD, IL
Muster In By Whom

Muster Out
JUN 3, 1865
Muster Out Where
SPRINGFIELD, IL
Muster Out By Whom
CPT MONTGOMERY
Remarks
Just to let you know the excellent news, the reference librarian at the Lincoln Presidental Library has sent me some very useful pages out of Mr. Satter's book on Tresilian, which pretty much cover what I need! I am still awaiting word from the author as to purchasing a copy of his book, which I would still like to do, but in the meantime I can get to work with what I have. Thought you might appreciate the update. Thanks for all your help!

Back