Lieutenant John Crowly 11th Louisiana Infantry

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
As I was reading through the Official Records dealing with Shiloh, I discovered this statement regarding Lieutenant John Crowly who was severely wounded and lost his left arm. Crowly was quite a devoted patriot who served his country as he lost his right arm at the Battle of Belmont. I was intrigued as to how his life continued, or not, after Shiloh. I have been unsuccessful using both Fold 3 and Ancestry and was hoping someone would be able to discover Crowly’s fate. It seems to me he deserves more than a brief mention in an old musty military document that few ever read.
Regards
David

Report of Lieut Col. Robert H. Barrow, Eleventh Louisiana Infantry.
Headquarters Eleventh Louisiana Regiment
Corinth, Miss., April 20,1862. (Excerpt from page 420)

“...Marching in this order until within half a mile of the enemy’s camp, it was evident, from the constant volley of musketry and heavy cannonading, that the engagement had become general, and particularly so on our right. At this juncture Lieut. John Crowly of Company F, lost his left arm (he having lost his right arm at Belmont, November 7,1861), from the explosion of a shell fired from one of the batteries of the enemy, which was so planted or stationed on a hill as to command the whole surrounding country.

THE WAR OF THE REBELLION:
A COMPILATION OF THE OFFICIAL RECORDS
OF THE UNION AND CONFEDERATE ARMIES.
PREPARED UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR, BY BVT. LIEUT. COL. ROBERT N. SCOTT, THIRD U. S. ARTILLERY,
AND PUBLISHED PURSUANT TO ACT OF CONGRESS APPROVED JUNE 16, 1880.
SERIES I—VOLUME X—IN TWO PARTS.
PART I.—REPORTS.
WASHINGTON: GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE.

Back