Lieutenant Colonel G. E. Flynt, of the staff of George Thomas

JeffBrooks

Sergeant Major
Does anyone have any information about Lieutenant Colonel G. E. Flynt, who appears to have been the chief-of-staff for George Thomas for much of the war. Thomas mentions him in his reports on Mill Springs, Murfreesboro, and Chickamauga, and he progressively advanced from captain to major to lieutenant colonel.

Any information on this man, such as where he was from and what he did before the war, would be appreciated.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

DBF

Sergeant
Member of the Month
Are you interested in some "fluff stuff"? In Brian Steel Wills's book "George Henry Thomas as True as Steel" - mostly he is only seen as his chief-of-staff, but there is one story that occurs after the Battle at Chickamauga where he write to fellow staffer Andrew MacKay - that he had been charged with the responsibility of monitoring and updating his superior's wardrobe with a trip to Cincinnati. "I have purchased some under and linen shirts for the General," he writes, "I could not find any material that I thought would suit him better". I looked through all my books and this was the only information I could find.

Last edited: