1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Lieut. Writes to Eastern Shore Family After Son's Death at Gettysburg

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Samwisep86, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Samwisep86

Samwisep86 Corporal

William H. Eaton enlisted as a private in the 1st Maryland Infantry (Union)- Eastern Shore on October 14, 1861 for a period of 3 years.

Most of the 1st Maryland Eastern Shore's duty involved garrison duty on the border between Maryland and Virginia on the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay.

William wrote home several times to his family in Cambridge, Md during the intervening years, tired of the boring duty in the regiment, but promising them not to worry about money, since his army pay would help pay off of their money troubles.

In late June 1863, William wrote to his parents that excitement was afoot. Writing that "it is rumard that we will ship for Baltimare", the regiment would ultimately head to its first engagement at Gettysburg, fighting Confederate Marylanders on Culp's Hill.

When the fighting had ended, William was one of the five killed in the 1st Maryland Eastern Shore.

After his father wrote asking about William, Lt. James Hooper, commanding William's Co. E, wrote this reply:

"Point of Rocks Frederick Co Md

August 29, 1863

Mr. Eaton

Dear Sir

Your letter of a

late date was received some time since

and I should have answered it sooner

but have had a great deal of writing

to do of late. Stafford & Blades neither

have been with the company for months

and consequently all the duties of the

company devolved on me. I have just

sent to the Adjutant General at Washington

Williams account against the Government,

and if that officer is prompt in the

discharge of his duty, you will have

sent to you a check for the money

due your son, in a short time.

If I can possibly get an opportunity I will

find Billy’s remains and send them

to you free of cost On the day of battle

I sent after his twice, but the rebel

shot and shell were raining so fast

that the party had to return without him

---pg2----

I should have written to you concer-

ning Williams death immediately

after the battle, but I know that it must

be painful to his mother, and that

by writing to others she would hear it

soon enough. You say that you heard

William fought bravely at Gettysburg

You were rightly informed, as I am

a witness to the manner in which

he behaved in the face of the enemy

I was not more than six feet from him

when he fell, the ball which passed

through his head came near me.

No man in the Regiment acted in

a more Corageis Manner than

the young man whose death

we all sadly deplore—And I in

common with—his comrades in arms

share the grief which his parents

so deeply feel. Remember me to Mrs

Eaton and the children I shall be

pleased to hear from you at any time.

Respectfully,

James R. Hooper"

William Eaton's body was unfortunately not returned to Eastern Maryland, but interred in a fitting place,
    the Soldier's National Cemetery at Gettysburg (Maryland Plot B-1).

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Doug5861

Doug5861 Private

I wish we could communicate with such eloquence these days. He deals with a difficult subject professionally and compassionately.

4. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore Sergeant Major

Lt. John E. Rastall of the 1st Maryland Eastern Shore wrote home after the battle, on July 28: " ... The concentrated fire of our own and the rebel batteries for two hours loped over our heads, and the Rebs charged up to within 300 yards of our rear ... We opened terrible volleys upon the poor Rebels and they fell back in confusion. This was in our front, for we did not know what was transpiring in our rear until the attack was repulsed by other troops. ... Not a man or officer in our regiment but was severely shaken in the nerves, and many have not gotten over it yet. Our Major, who is now tenting with me, only the night before last awoke me by his fighting the battle over again. ..."

PTSD in Civil War soldiers comes to mind when reading the last two sentences. This was the first time these troops had experienced battle, and it was a particularly brutal one at that. From Lt. Rastall's description, he could be referring to the repulse of Col. O'Neal's Alabama brigade on the morning of July 3 on Culp's Hill, which means he was with the left wing of the regiment. At the time, the right companies were roughly about 100 yards further south, opposite the right of Steuart and Daniel. It's not clear which wing William H. Eaton fought in.

Many, if not most, of the casualties incurred by the Federal infantry who were rotating in and out of the breastworks occurred when they were moving into (or back from) those entrenchments and thus were most vulnerable.

5. Scott Hann

Scott Hann Private

Thanks very much for sharing this fascinating letter. I'd be interested in learning more. Would you mind revealing the source of these letters? Thanks, Scott

6. Scott Hann

Scott Hann Private

Tom, your research is impeccable. Wish I could find the sources that you do!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)