Lexington, Missouri, "The Battle Of The Hemp Bales", June 11-12, 1978

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (23).jpg

This was an early event from the 1970's I attended with another member of our unit, John Snapp. We drove from North Texas to Lexington to participate in this reenactment with friends Rick and Mark Tolliver from a group called Bledsoe's Battery who we had met and who served with us as part of our unit the previous June at Billie Creek Village, Indiana:

Unfortunately, almost all of my photos were taken in and around their camp which was located in the State Park on part of the actual battlefield, above, so I'll also include some other period postcard views as well, like the one above showing the valley of the Missouri River seen from the terraced grounds of the Anderson House.

Image (13).jpg

Members of Bledsoe's Battery, including the two of us, from the left: John Snapp; in back, Fleet Kerr, owner of the 3/4 scale six-pounder gun and limber; Tim Miller; Lt. Mark Tolliver; myself; Dave Baker; and Corp. Kirk Wiseman. (Not pictured are parents Mr. and Mrs. Rick Tolliver, one of whom likely took the pictures.)

Image (48).jpg

Image (14).jpg

As often in this era we would share knowledge with members of other groups and John and I were happy to drill Bledsoe's in George Patten's manual of instruction reprinted as The Complete Cannoneer. Above and below, John is serving as Gunner instructing the fine points of artillery drill.

Image (15).jpg

Image (16).jpg

Our camp on the grounds of one of the historic Anderson House, dating from the September, 1861 Battle Of the Hemp Bales. Below Southern Belles Trilla Ray at left and Rebecca "Becky" Tolliver at right add a touch of class to the proceedings. Bledsoe's Battery also joined our unit for another living history event on their home turf held on Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Site outside Springfield, Missouri, to be featured in a later thread.

Image (17).jpg

The Historic Anderson House
Image (20).jpg

"Built in 1853 by Oliver Anderson. Used as a field hospital during the Battle of Lexington." Below, my photo of the house taken from the back side:

Image (18).jpg

Image (21).jpg

Above, "Main Hall - The solid walnut, hand finished doorways and U plan spiraling staircase give an inspiring view as one enters the house." Below, "Front Parlor - Furnished in the elegant style of the antebellum period."

Image (22).jpg

Below, "The Lexington County Courthouse is white-painted brick of Classic-Revival design. The main part of the building was built between 1847 and 1849. The oldest courthouse in use in Missouri as a courthouse. At top of the nearest column is a cannon ball, which was aimed at the nearby headquarters of Maj. Gen. Sterling Price during the Battle of Lexington."

Image (19).jpg

Last edited:
My oh my that's battlefield has changed a lot since then. Here's a couple pictures for reference on the changes from inside Union lines:

DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0544.JPG

I hope to go back by there this fall on another work trip. Last time I was there I was invited to attend their reenactment there in 2021 on the 160th, and I'd like to to try and see to it that happens. Plus the local gentleman who was my tour guide there seems to be in bad health, (such is the story with many WW2 veterans), and I'd like to see him again.

My oh my that's battlefield has changed a lot since then. Here's a couple pictures for reference on the changes from inside Union lines:

View attachment 378136

View attachment 378137

I hope to go back by there this fall on another work trip. Last time I was there I was invited to attend their reenactment there in 2021 on the 160th, and I'd like to to try and see to it that happens. Plus the local gentleman who was my tour guide there seems to be in bad health, (such is the story with many WW2 veterans), and I'd like to see him again.
That's something I'd hoped to find out by posting this thread - I haven't been back since 1978 and I'd like to see it again. Back then I had very little idea what this affair was all about!

That's something I'd hoped to find out by posting this thread - I haven't been back since 1978 and I'd like to see it again. Back then I had very little idea what this affair was all about!

I was wondering why y'all had so many Confederate uniforms. Its real nice I'd say, excellent visitor's center museum, (though the shrine in there to Sterling Price makes me think of some choice quotes about him), and the battlefield is well kept up with a nice walking tour. Modern buildings are all around the town, but the battlefield seems to be immune to it.

DSCN0540.JPG

DSCN0562.JPG

(A couple guns actually used in the battle.)
DSCN0561.JPG

DSCN0555.JPG

I was wondering why y'all had so many Confederate uniforms. Its real nice I'd say, excellent visitor's center museum, (though the shrine in there to Sterling Price makes me think of some choice quotes about him), and the battlefield is well kept up with a nice walking tour. Modern buildings are all around the town, but the battlefield seems to be immune to it.
At this early point in reenacting there was little attempt to realistically represent accurate period uniforms or civilian clothing, especially in unusual situations like this in Border State Missouri- in many ways it was still the Civil War Centennial with jeans and polyester. As long as it was blue and/or gray it was okay!

Something that has been demolished since you were there in 1978, the WW1 Memorial Bridge. It was torn down a few years ago, and the entire road going to where it was and so on is completely gone. My boss on those work trips is VERY into bridges, cars, and generally everything Great Depression and early 1900's, (he's actually the person who encouraged my CW studies when I was a kid and introduced me to reenactor friends of his, much to parent's fury).

He's still upset and broke up about that bridge being gone, though personally, as someone who's helped build bridges and roads I completely understand looking at the layout of everything. Though I've never seen pictures of the bridge, looking at the road layout on how you got on and off it, it HAD to be a nightmare and half.

(This is literally at the end of where it was! Turn left or right there was no forward!)
DSCN0524.JPG

(Taken from the top of it. Still hands down the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen.)

DSCN0525.JPG

DSCN0531.JPG

Now for enough modern changes and back to 1978.

At this early point in reenacting there was little attempt to realistically represent accurate period uniforms or civilian clothing, especially in unusual situations like this in Border State Missouri- in many ways it was still the Civil War Centennial with jeans and polyester. As long as it was blue and/or gray it was okay!

Farby or not, the uniforms y'all were wearing do look sharp.

Back