Lexington, Alabama

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
One of the great cities of the world is Lexington, Alabama albeit it one of the smallest. This was the resting place of the Army of Tennessee on their hurried trek south from Tennessee on December 26 and 27 1864. I've been following this trail for some time. Highway 11 south from Pulaski runs close to the battles at Anthony's Hill and Sugar Creek, a great way to celebrate Christmas? Lexington is in the middle of this road and directly under the stop light. (That's what Southerners call 'em. They also work for go.) There is a very good restaurant under (or near) this traffic light. Seats maybe a hundred folks, superb southern cooking, and a chance to meet real people. I was startled by the amount of my dinner tab, which was perhaps 40% of the prices in Nashville. Backroads are the better places to search. I finally found the object of my search that trip, the remnant of Baugh's or Lauderdale Mill on the west bank of Shoals Creek near the crossing of Alabama highway 47. General Edward Hatch and his cavalry made this their temporary headquarters in the first two weeks of November, 1864. Forrest and Wheeler were nearby and had been for several months chasing along the river. Much to see if you look between the trees. The crossing site at Bainbridge is just a few miles south.

Back