Letting your hair down

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
In the context of this forum, that would be yards and yards of hair. Unless you were ill and a doctor cut your hair. Which I could see if your were ill, and feverish, losing a foot or two of hair would have been quite the relief!

My hair is a bit past shoulder length in back. Because Living History and musical engagements that want hair...I just let my hair down..ahhh!

Imagine never cutting your hair..from toddler to adult...no wonder hair was not washed on the reg. i would imagine it would be a day long endevour to get that hank o hair dry..and you would need to do it, given the smoke and grease from cooking on an open fire..unless you had an actual factual cast iron stove..still! Your hair owned you! Aaaahhh!

@Mrs. V your hair generally stops growing by that point. :wink: And never cutting your hair doesn't always equal longer hair. For example, I've cut my hair dramatically two or three times, but it grows insanely fast. My sister has cut her hair once and it won't grow past her hips. This makes her mad. :giggle:

It's a lot more doable than most people think. And it's such a fun party trick to let it all down...

@Mrs. V your hair generally stops growing by that point. :wink: And never cutting your hair doesn't always equal longer hair. For example, I've cut my hair dramatically two or three times, but it grows insanely fast. My sister has cut her hair once and it won't grow past her hips. This makes her mad. :giggle:

It's a lot more doable than most people think. And it's such a fun party trick to let it all down...
I used to wear my hair super, super short, like spikey..then when I started doing some opera chorus work, I decided I needed hair..because oh my the gawd aweful hat you had to wear with short hair..then, I started doing civil war historical living history..my hair stylist has guided me to the current level of hair length. Without him, I would not have the length of hair I have now. Not patient enough!

I used to wear my hair super, super short, like spikey..then when I started doing some opera chorus work, I decided I needed hair..because oh my the gawd aweful hat you had to wear with short hair..then, I started doing civil war historical living history..my hair stylist has guided me to the current level of hair length. Without him, I would not have the length of hair I have now. Not patient enough!
I use tons of Aqua Net hair spray and a fancy fake piece in back secured with good bobby pins! Thus my hair in back "comes off" instead of "let down" :whistling: :smile:

I only ever have my hair cut once a year! And that’s just to keep it healthy.. have always had long hair.. all the way down my back.. then once a year it gets cut to just below my shoulders, it’s amazing how much lighter your head suddenly feels and easier.. but then again.. I never keep my hair down! It’s always up in a pony tail as just gets in my way otherwise!! I never understood how people don’t get annoyed with it when it’s down and in your face!

I only ever have my hair cut once a year! And that’s just to keep it healthy.. have always had long hair.. all the way down my back.. then once a year it gets cut to just below my shoulders, it’s amazing how much lighter your head suddenly feels and easier.. but then again.. I never keep my hair down! It’s always up in a pony tail as just gets in my way otherwise!! I never understood how people don’t get annoyed with it when it’s down and in your face!

You might think about donating those lovely locks..I think it’s 5 inches or so..

Ahh yes I have contemplated that .. but I’m really bad and just get someone over to hack it off .. even Daves done it for me previously .. I think I would have to go to an actual hairdressers to have it done properly if I were to donate it! I’ve never once dyed my hair or done anything with it! It just gets the normal shampoo and conditioner at home!

I used to wear a similar hairstyle, then I went to an undercut when that became all the rage. Now it's back to around my shoulders. Actually I think this is as long as I ever had it, I always elected to keep it somewhat short to prevent knots and such and be low maintenance. So it usually was floating around neck length when not in my super short phase.

What surprised me was seeing so many images of women and young girls with short hair. They can't all have been previously ill- found a Godey's article about short hair as a style. Writer felt free of all the fuss, recommended it. You know, I think we become victims of the various interesting customs of the past. We know women sometimes had their cut because it was easier when bed ridden. That seems to have taken off as a factoid.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/la...nd-locks-the-short-story.150804/#post-1910552

Read somewhere it's downright bad for your hair, washing it daily. Makes sense. Mom told me it's been during her lifetime this obsession with washing everything from clothing after one wear to daily shampoos has become the norm. Not so much hygiene as selling soap.

Back